Close
Login to Your Account

Thread: New to Okuma

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New to Okuma

G'day guys,
    Unfortunately for me I learnt CNC late in life and I learnt on Mazak which I now know is one of the easiest to learn on even though at the time having never done any CNC it was a very steep learning curve to self teach even with the aid of these forums. Now I find myself having to learn G & M code on a mid 80's Okuma bridge mill and the Okuma programming manual leaves a lot to be desired and also i'm not sure of what options I have to play with. The machine is a MCV-A with the OSP5000 controller. I have managed to get a simple pecking cycle working after spending a lot of time trying to work out how to do the work offsets which would normally be G54 etc but isn't on this controller.
    So I have a couple of questions.
    1 Is there any way of finding what options are on this machine?
    2 Does anyone have or can point me to some sample programs especially circular pocket milling without the area milling option (I tried programming with the limited info in the manual for the area milling option but wouldn't work so i'm not sure if it was because it doesn't have the option or I was doing something wrong.

Thanks
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've not worked on that old of an Okuma but on the new ones they use G15 H__ for the work offsets and they use G56 H__ D__ for the tool offsets. Work offsets are cancelled by G15 H0 and Tool Offsets are cancelled by G53. Nearly backwards from FANUC.

You can send an email to Okuma to ask about options? Other MTBs have been helpful to me looking for data on old machines.

I'm not sure what area milling would be - sounds like you are maybe looking to use some sort of conversational programming on the controller?

Sorry I can't be more help.

3. Likes pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    I've not worked on that old of an Okuma but on the new ones they use G15 H__ for the work offsets and they use G56 H__ D__ for the tool offsets. Work offsets are cancelled by G15 H0 and Tool Offsets are cancelled by G53. Nearly backwards from FANUC.

You can send an email to Okuma to ask about options? Other MTBs have been helpful to me looking for data on old machines.

I'm not sure what area milling would be - sounds like you are maybe looking to use some sort of conversational programming on the controller?

Sorry I can't be more help.
    Area milling was an option that could be called conversational I suppose. It was for pockets and facing etc. I had a look on the paperwork I found but I don't think it had too many options with it which is surprising as it came out of an aerospace facility and although it was hooked up to a computer when we took it out there wasn't any CAM to my knowledge in 1985 unless tape is considered a type of cam.