What's new
What's new

Okuma Genos Lathes - Options?

twabscs

Aluminum
Hi All,

More questions in my quest to convert from screw machines into CNC. Going to Okuma sales office tomorrow to have a look at the Genos lathes. They have provided starting prices on the L250E and L400 that are very competitive.

The base package includes lots of items that are "options" on other lathes (e.g., Haas), and so wanted to ask if there are certain options I need to add to the basic L400 package.

It has the tool setter, tail stock, and chip conveyor as standard options. However, I don't see a "parts catcher" offered as an option.

Also, today I make mostly small parts, but the L400 is cheaper than the L250E so it just makes sense to get the larger lathe. 10" chuck versus 8" and larger spindle nose, etc.

Any comments are appreciated!

Tom

Couple things.

1. I cant imagine that a parts catcher would not be an option. (probably get them to throw it in)
2. Definitely need the chip conveyor.
3. I would go for the tail stock. Down side is it can get in the way. However, about the time you need it & do not have it, you will be hating life.
4. I am of the mentality that bigger is better & would go for the 10" chuck. In addition to a bigger chuck, you probably get a bigger bore size. However, the down side is that as the chuck size increases, generally the max. rpm goes down.

I have had great luck with my L400. I did not get a parts catcher but should have. Your salesmen should be able to provide you a list of all the options (it is really really long).. If I remember correctly the parts catcher is about a $6k option. I got the Advanced Onetouch IGF, Arc threading, then outfitted it with a 65mm quick grip collet nose and a 5c collet nose in addition to the chuck.

Thanks guys, heading out for the meeting now and I'll report back with more questions I'm sure.

Edited for this: Had a nice 2 hour meeting with the Hartwig team. They are pushing me to the L300MW as I really need that sub-spindle and Y axis for second ops. :)

We'll see what the quote comes back with. Yes, the parts catcher is a $6700 (list) option...

Last edited:
Got a L250E that we have been putting 20,000+ parts a month through for most of the year now. So far, been a very solid machine with zero problems.

Thanks guys, heading out for the meeting now and I'll report back with more questions I'm sure.

Edited for this: Had a nice 2 hour meeting with the Hartwig team. They are pushing me to the L300MW as I really need that sub-spindle and Y axis for second ops. :)

We'll see what the quote comes back with. Yes, the parts catcher is a $6700 (list) option...

I just did some training with a Hartwig apps guy on our new Genos L300M, Mon & Tues.

It really depends on WHAT you need to do with it and what you WANT to do with it. I really would try to figure out what you can't live without if your next machine after this might be a few years away.

We don't have a B turret or a Y axis and both would be really helpful for some of the parts that the company wants to do on the machine.

The subspindle is nice, hopefully you have ALOT more room with the 10" chucker version, ours is the 8" chuck and it's a really tight swing with tools setup for the subspindle.

I would highly suggest the auto-tool setter versus the manual version. When you start running tight tolerance stuff having redundant tools is nice for "backup". With the auto-tool setter you can program in variables that allow you to retouch a tool to check for wear...say your radius is chipped or worn, your machine could probe the part and check that against your programmed tolerances, then check the tool with the tool setter to see how much the tool is worn. This helps tremendously for lights-out production or just being able to run other machines while it does it's thing.

This is nice for those short-run parts, or new parts where you don't have adequate data to set up Page A, B or C (Number of parts, total run time, or wear) ...with high(er) volume parts where you have good data points, for example, you'll know that your OD turning tool produces 300 good parts, but not 320 so you can set it to switch out to a redundant tool after 300 parts automatically. Or you know that your threading tool will run for 7 hours of an 8 hour shift, so you can have it switch out to a redundant tool at hour 7. Or if your 1/8" ball-mill in your live tooling spindle leaves smears in the finish, or burrs after .007" of offset, you can switch to a redundant live tool at that point.

There are so many nice features on the Okuma Genos lathes (considering they are "lower" end for Okuma) that it just doesn't make sense to "cheap" out by not taking advantage of all the ones you can get.

Hope this makes sense, I'm fresh off learning about tool life management, programming with variables, etc. etc. so this stuff is still sharp in my mind.

If memory serves me the 300 is an 8" chuck machine with a vdi turret. Same base / spindle as the 400 just with a smaller chuck.

If memory serves me the 300 is an 8" chuck machine with a vdi turret. Same base / spindle as the 400 just with a smaller chuck.

The L300M is the same lathe with a 10" chuck. The capacity is slightly smaller due to the vdi turret. I'm pretty sure that's why it's a 300 instead of 400.

One option I like to get on Okuma lathes is the separate rapid override knob. The rapid override knob and feed override knob are combined on the lathe. It's a royal pita because on a first part I like to have the rapids at 10% and the feed at 100%. I also like to do this for the first few parts to let the machine "warm up". Slowing down the feed with the rapid just rubs the tools to death and the tool pressure won't be the same so the part might not be the right dimensions. Anyway if you hammer the sales guy and tell him all the other lathes have a separate rapid override knob they will probably throw it in for free. If you don't get it when the machine is new expect to pay about 3k for it. :eek:

Ed, that thing has excellent graphics. I override the approach move to check the offsets, then I let her go. In CNC we trust. OP stop between tools and repeat.

If you want real fun, run some of the older Okumas. The rapid override is not effective unless the machine is in single block or dry run. That leads to some real excitement.

You should write a warm up program.

IIRC the parts catcher is just over 6K, and definitely worth having the MFG install, as opposed to an aftermarket.
You might want to spring for the IGF or whatever it is called conversational control option, as it will make 1 offs quicker than "hand-cam"

The VDI turret is a PITA (for me at least) in regards to having to shorten boring and grooving bars to custom lengths, since the VDI does not allow for through bore tool holders. (Just my .02)

As mentioned above, GET THE DOUBLE KNOB OVER RIDES!

Also, they might have a M code for the chip conveyor, see if you can get that too. The little bottun on the back of the conveyer sucks!
I moved mine to where it could be turned on/ off from the machine control.

Lastly, if you can afford it, I would go for the MYW machine.
I sooooo wish I had gone ahead and bit the bullet, and purchased the Y & W options!

Doug.

PS, you might want to check out the Eppinger quick change line of live tool holders. They are pretty slick!

Just thought I should add the following:

The Okuma Genos lathe (in my case, 300M) is a great machine! Please (anybody who might later read this) do not take some of the aforementioned comments as a critique on the machine as a whole.

The control is singularly the most powerful CNC control I've used. It is a snap to use variable to do most anything you want the machine to do, short of refilling your coffee!:D

Doug.

I think it may be when I looked at the 300 I was looking at the 4500 rpm option which is a 8" chuck. I would up with the L400 as I needed a machine now.

I made the same mistake and did not get the rapid over ride knob. What a pain in the ass.

Should have got the parts catcher. I am going to add it now. Never thought I would be bar pulling in digging hundreds of parts out of the conveyor.

IGF should be a no brainer. I have a few templates I use now and can pop programs out really fast. Faster than in the cam system.

Ed, that thing has excellent graphics. I override the approach move to check the offsets, then I let her go. In CNC we trust. OP stop between tools and repeat.

If you want real fun, run some of the older Okumas. The rapid override is not effective unless the machine is in single block or dry run. That leads to some real excitement.

You should write a warm up program.

That's a parameter option I believe...

Back