What's new
What's new

Okuma Lathe Problem

dartplayer1

Plastic
We just purchased two Okuma LB 3000 EX II lathes one has the new OSP-P300 L control.

With no warning and just cause the machine crashed and crashed hard.

We made 6 good parts then the crash.

In our shop we do not have a set-up person the operators are well trained they do all their own set-ups the guy
running this machine was setting up another lathe at the time of the crash so he did not see what happened.

We have analyzed the program and went thru everything on our end.

Our local dealer has been thru this thing and is working on rebuilding it, this new control even has a log file of everything the machine does Okuma did not
find anything we did to cause this problem.

However we still cannot get an explanation as to what caused the crash.

Okuma is standing by the machine warranty so we assume they have a problem but have yet to tell us what.

Anybody else seeing any problems with the OSP-P300L?

If they can't find a machine issue, maybe it was operator error and he / she does not want to get into trouble. Many times someone someone forgot to tighten the tool and may have come out. How is the ari pressure in the shop? Could there have been a overload of the compressor and you had pressure drop? Have them check and see if the chuck safety lock is inoperable and if you accidentally stepped on the release the chuck opened. Did they check for ball screw back-lash on all the axis's? I would suggest you do several dry runs to test it before machining a art again.. If it's a mechanical issue and the dealer needs some help or have any rebuilding issues on other machines?, I am down on Lake of The Ozarks at the cabin for a few days and will be heading back north next week and could detour up 65. Rich

PS: I will be retiring here someday :-)

Likely a software bug in the control. Talked to another company a couple months ago with them and there were some software bugs when they first arrived (I forget the exact extent of those). Some bugs never show up in testing because the right combination of events never presents itself. Okuma is not the only one to have these issues. Any new generation control will have some bugs to be worked out that only occur in the field under field conditions where the randomness of events and operations comes into play.

Big Laing the log shows from what we are being told that the operator made no changes to the program from part to part, in fact all he did was change parts
it ran the rough turning tools both id and od then crashed on the second finish tool a face grooving tool other than that they are not telling us anything except they are fixing it.

Richard Okuma would not be fixing this at no cost if they thought there was any way it was an operator issue, the log would show if the chuck opened, when it goes back together it will get dry run to death.

Tony we are thinking software bug ourselves.

PS: Richard the Ozarks are a great place we love it down that way, but I hope your keeping a place up north for the summer it's so nice up there in the summer my daughter used to live in a small town Cosmos west of Hutchinson we loved it up there in the summer except for the biggest mosquito's I have ever seen.

we had a rebuilt LU25 delivered awhile back. along with a couple other small issues, it would sometimes loose Z zero (luckily always in positive direction). we were able to connect the machine online so they could get into the control. they couldn't find anything wrong either, but still insisted it was our fault. anyway, they finally sent out a tech. after a couple days, he found a connection in the elec. cabinet had come loose during shipping. easy fix, but between a few hundred wires & a intermittent problem, a real witch hunt to find. although it's possible, probably not the control itself causing problems. good luck!

When you say hard crash do you mean like full rapid turret into spinning chuck? Or is this tool failure and part ejection? I would check feeds and speeds. What material are you cutting? Depth of cut could be too aggressive. Is your work holding stable or are you barely gripping the part? Some materials like stainless and superalloys can wear an insert down quick? Was the coolant turned on? Got a picture of the part? This intrigues me. I just started running some okumas myself.

Back