What's new

Okuma Lathe Tool Wear Compensation

Jbutler CTP

Plastic
OKUMA OSP-P300
Model: L300-MYW
Controller: OSP-300
Hello all.
Let me start by saying I am not a machinist and I am more of technical guy but I have been tasked with finding a solution to our problem. We are trying to run our machine unmanned for a certain amount of parts after hours. We have identified the tool with the shortest tool life and have set the parts counter on the machine to run just a few parts shy so that we get an extra couple pcs when we come in the morning. Our issue is that the tool needs to be offset a coupe tenths every 20 parts.
Our threading insert (Tool 2) only lasts 100pcs before it wears out and needs to be replaced/flipped. After 20 pcs we are having to subtract our wear offset in X by approx. -.0005”. Is there a feature on the controller to automatically add say -.00001” to the wear offset in X for T2 after every part/cycle? I found the Const. Add and Const. Sub. on the Tool Data page but I cannot seem to get them to work… Is there another way? Is there a way to program this in the coding of the part program?
If not is there a way that after a certain amount of parts it switches from using T2 to using say T3 if we setup T3 the same as tool T2. Then we could get double the parts after hours.
At this point I would prefer to have the machine constantly add offset after every cycle is possible.
Please let me know if you need more information.

OKUMA OSP-P300
Hello all.
Let me start by saying I am not a machinist and I am more of technical guy but I have been tasked with finding a solution to our problem. We are trying to run our machine unmanned for a certain amount of parts after hours. We have identified the tool with the shortest tool life and have set the parts counter on the machine to run just a few parts shy so that we get an extra couple pcs when we come in the morning. Our issue is that the tool needs to be offset a coupe tenths every 20 parts.
Our threading insert (Tool 2) only lasts 100pcs before it wears out and needs to be replaced/flipped. After 20 pcs we are having to subtract our wear offset in X by approx. -.0005”. Is there a feature on the controller to automatically add say -.00001” to the wear offset in X for T2 after every part/cycle? I found the Const. Add and Const. Sub. on the Tool Data page but I cannot seem to get them to work… Is there another way? Is there a way to program this in the coding of the part program?
If not is there a way that after a certain amount of parts it switches from using T2 to using say T3 if we setup T3 the same as tool T2. Then we could get double the parts after hours.
At this point I would prefer to have the machine constantly add offset after every cycle is possible.

I don't know Okuma, but I know alot (most?) of machines will let you set up duplicate tools and switch them after xx minutes of run time. You will nee dto find an Okuma guy to help with this, I'm sure someone here will show up that knows how to do it.

OKUMA OSP-P300
Hello all.

Write a macro to do it. I have a P300 lathe but I'm not familiar with all the system addresses you'll need but this is a simple thing to setup.

Lets say you're using T010101 and every 20 pieces you need a .0005 change (or .0001 every 4 pieces) I'm not sure the P300 will work in .00001 increments unless you switch it to all metric input.

Im taking a quick stab at this so you may have to do a little trouble shooting to make this work but the format will be close to what you need at least.

***AT THE TOP OF YOUR PROGRAM***
(SET V1 TO 0 AT WHEN STARTING NEW INSERT - PARTS COUNT)
(VTOFX[1]= X AXIS TOOL OFFSET OF TOOL 1)

CODE
CODE
CODE
G0 X30 Z30 T0300 (IF YOU WERE USING T3, FOR EXAMPLE)
M1

NAT01 (THREADER)
G0 G96 X2. Z.2 T010101 M3 M8
THREAD CYCLE
V1=V1+1 (INCREMENT PARTS COUNT)
IF [V1 EQ 4] N5000
GOTO N5001
N5000
VTOFX[1]=VTOFX[1]-.0001 (DECREASE X OFFSET BY .0001)
N5001
G0 X30 Z30 T0100 M9 M5
IF [V1 GE 4] N5002
GOTO N5003
N5002
V1=0
N5003
M2

The key is to dry run this logic in machine lock and ensure that V1 goes back to 0 after 4 parts get made. Note that there is nothing to return your tool offset back to its original setting. In this setup, you will have to reset the tool after it's worn out which you'd likely do anyway. If you didn't though, the tool will continue to cut .0001 smaller every 4 parts even if you're out of tolerance.

You will also need to confirm that T1 offset changes by .0001 every 4th part while you're testing.

Give this a try, I think it will work.

Back