What's new
What's new

Okuma LB10 Lathe Qs

fjcarroll

Plastic
I'm looking at purchasing an Okuma LB10 to use for mid-length high tensile strength fastener production in my shop. I have a few questions about the machine and control. Some of these may be answered myself with later inspection of the machine, I've only had ~30 minutes of inspection time, the next time I'm at the reseller it should be under power for further inspection.
1. What size is the spindle nose? I'm seeing both A2-5 and A2-6 mentioned online. The bore looks plain with a draw tube and hydraulic chuck closer, can I mount any 5C/3J/16C collet chuck with an adapter to the drawbar tube? Any chance of pulling the threads off of the collets with the hydraulic force? The manuals I've found for the control only mention drawbar high/low pressure, nothing in particular about fine pressure control. There will likely be times I need to turn between centers, how can I accomplish this with a plain spindle bore?
2. The machine does not have a DMC card optioned, is it still possible to send programs via RS232C through the tape interface? The control is an OSP5000L-G.
3. Do the tool holders adhere to any standard? I have no qualms about making my own but would prefer going with original equipment or premanufactured holders.
4. Does anyone have the original specifications manual for one of these lathes? Haven't had luck finding it online so all I know about options etc is through forums and seller descriptions.
5. This machine has a high/low gear and max 11kW spindle, but the programming manual gives no indication of the spindle torque. I would like to use thread forming tools up to M14x2 for high strength fasteners used in cyclic loading environments (materials including 4340, H13, C300, C350 etc all annealed condition) would this have enough torque to drive a thread forming tap/thread rolling die of that size?

Sorry for the long post. This will be my second CNC lathe (my first is a Hardinge CHNC-1,) but in this case it seems very little information is available on the specifications and capabilities of these lathes. I'm sure I'll have more questions after my next inspection as well.

Thanks for the help,
-Forrest

I'm looking at purchasing an Okuma LB10 to use for mid-length high tensile strength fastener production in my shop. I have a few questions about the machine and control. Some of these may be answered myself with later inspection of the machine, I've only had ~30 minutes of inspection time, the next time I'm at the reseller it should be under power for further inspection.
1. What size is the spindle nose? I'm seeing both A2-5 and A2-6 mentioned online. The bore looks plain with a draw tube and hydraulic chuck closer, can I mount any 5C/3J/16C collet chuck with an adapter to the drawbar tube? Any chance of pulling the threads off of the collets with the hydraulic force? The manuals I've found for the control only mention drawbar high/low pressure, nothing in particular about fine pressure control. There will likely be times I need to turn between centers, how can I accomplish this with a plain spindle bore?

I mounted different 3 Jaw and collet chucks based on the work. Fortunately, all theachines I needed to swap chucks were A2-6. I don't see an issue. Call Okuma/your local Okuma rep w/ the serial number, and they will tell you what theachine is spec out as.

2. The machine does not have a DMC card optioned, is it still possible to send programs via RS232C through the tape interface? The control is an OSP5000L-G.

I used a PC -> Ethernet -> WiFi -> WiFi/RS-232 Controller - Okuma controller . Talk to Guy or Amy at Shop Floor Automation.

3. Do the tool holders adhere to any standard? I have no qualms about making my own but would prefer going with original equipment or premanufactured holders.

Yes, I bought tool holder from Eppinger(sp?) and used tooling from Kennametal, SECO, etc... just be aware that that the coolant ports are BPP, not NPT

4. Does anyone have the original specifications manual for one of these lathes? Haven't had luck finding it online so all I know about options etc is through forums and seller descriptions.

They may be purchased from Okuma. I would suggest getting the programming and operations manual only.

5. This machine has a high/low gear and max 11kW spindle, but the programming manual gives no indication of the spindle torque. I would like to use thread forming tools up to M14x2 for high strength fasteners used in cyclic loading environments (materials including 4340, H13, C300, C350 etc all annealed condition) would this have enough torque to drive a thread forming tap/thread rolling die of that size?

The easiest material I ran was 316, and the Okuma ran it w/o complamy (once I figured out the correct feeds and speeds)

Excuse the lazy reply format..

Sent from my G-Code editor @ 300kbs

Back