What's new
What's new

Okuma MC-4VA toolchanger errors 84 & 86 insufficient slideway lube/sequencer battery

greenbuggy

Stainless
Okuma MC-4VA toolchanger errors 84 & 86 insufficient slideway lube/sequencer battery

Bought an Okuma MC-4VA from eBay that I'm trying to fix up and get functional. Have gotten a few issues worked out now trying to get toolchanger figured out.

Realized today that the toolchanger was stuck in between changes, put in MDI and moved the toolchain using M47/M48 and it seems to be advancing alright in MDI. Call up a tool using M6, nothing.

I then realize that if it won't advance the chain using the star on the toolchanger keyboard, it will cycle thru the error codes. Up top, codes 84 & 86 - these correspond to "the lubricant for the slideways is insufficient" and "battery for sequencer is deteriorating"

I'm pretty sure the reason for "sequencer battery deteriorating" is that the battery that is supposed to be plugged in on top of the Mitsubishi PLC is nowhere to be found - looks like that can be replaced with either a 3.6V lithium cell or 3 AA cells from the pics I've found of other Okuma toolchanger PLCs - this one is a Mitsubishi PM-905C2. So I'm going to pick up a battery holder from Radioshack tomorrow and wire that in, hopefully that will take care of error 86.

Error 84 on the other hand I'm confused by - I don't have wiring diagrams for this machine outside of the Fanuc 6M controls, nothing on the machine or PLC itself (if anyone has them for a 1984 MC-4VA with a Mitsu PLC and Fanuc 6M-B control I've got paypal at the ready). On startup of machine my waylube pump does run, its making its way onto the slideways and the pressure on the gauge registers where it should be.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if the error on the toolchanger is tied to a level/float switch in the waylube pump itself (I haven't tried to jump it out yet), a pressure switch at the ways or if there's an additional switch/sensor on the toolchanger itself?

Lastly does the toolchanger PLC automatically reset the error codes or is there a procedure to reset once these issues have been resolved?

Errors 84 and 86 resolved. Soldered in a 3-AAA holder on the wires coming out of the mitsi PLC and put some fresh alkaline batteries in. Checked way lube pump and there was some way oil in the bottom but apparently not enough to float so I topped it off with Vistac 68 and restarted the mill and had all zeros on the tool changer display.

Zero'ed my X, Y, Z axis, when Z lit up so did my ATC zero light (Z zero and ATC zero are the same)

Ok, so I set pods for 1-5 tools using the tool keyboard, stuck a tool in pod 5 and stuck one in the spindle and tried commanding M6 T5 in MDI, nothing moved now its displaying code "82" across the top which the manual says corresponds to "the function S is not commanded"

Being that I didn't spin the spindle before commanding a tool change is code 82 supposed to mean that it hasn't seen the index on spindle encoder or something else?

Back