Okuma MCV 4020 Z axis brake
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Okuma MCV 4020 Z axis brake

I have an Okuma MCV 4020, built in 1996 with an OSP-U10M control. When I shut this machine down, the Z axis falls like a rock (as if there is no brake). I have been using a length of wood the hold the Z axis while I turn the machine off, but if the machine hits an alarm, or there is a power failure, I will scrap a part. Does anyone know if there is a brake adjustment, and how to adjust it?

Thanks...cbright

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cbright View Post
    I have an Okuma MCV 4020, built in 1996 with an OSP-U10M control. When I shut this machine down, the Z axis falls like a rock (as if there is no brake). I have been using a length of wood the hold the Z axis while I turn the machine off, but if the machine hits an alarm, or there is a power failure, I will scrap a part. Does anyone know if there is a brake adjustment, and how to adjust it?

Thanks...cbright
    Hello cbright,
    First determine if the output to the brake is working when the control is turned off normally. I recently had a client with a similar problem as yours. In their case, if the control was turned off normally (power off switch), the Z axis would drop to the Z minus limit (a long tool would hit the table). However, if the Emergency Stop was pressed first then the control turned off, the Z axis was locked in the position when the Emergency Stop button was pressed. What was happening here was that the Z axis brake was being applied by either the Power Off switch being pressed, or by the Emergency Stop switch in the control interface logic. In this client's case, the input from the Control Off switch was not registering with the control interface, but the Input from the Emergency Stop switch was.

Regards,

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi cbright,

The brake is not adjustable for the z-axis, it's in the motor and the cable should be labeled 1205. I will send you some info if you don't have the electrical prints.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by angelw View Post
    Hello cbright,
    First determine if the output to the brake is working when the control is turned off normally. I recently had a client with a similar problem as yours. In their case, if the control was turned off normally (power off switch), the Z axis would drop to the Z minus limit (a long tool would hit the table). However, if the Emergency Stop was pressed first then the control turned off, the Z axis was locked in the position when the Emergency Stop button was pressed. What was happening here was that the Z axis brake was being applied by either the Power Off switch being pressed, or by the Emergency Stop switch in the control interface logic. In this client's case, the input from the Control Off switch was not registering with the control interface, but the Input from the Emergency Stop switch was.

Regards,

Bill
    Ok, the head falls either way (e-stop, or power off)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, can anyone tell me where in the z axis motor is the brake? Is it something I can inspect, replace parts etc....