What's new
What's new

Okuma OSP700L - If monochrome LCD is changed to color...

Are you talking about a parameter change? My guess would be no, seems like you'd need to swap out all of the hardware that makes lights have multiple colors.

We had this done on a machine in the past. The new monitor did have color display, but I'm not sure the changes that had to made along with it. It's been a few years. A call to the Okuma distributor should get you the info you need...

. A call to the Okuma distributor should get you the info you need...
That not the sort of thing a distributor would know about and the service gurus would tend to think you are nutty for wanting to change the status quo. Plus they can't be trusted anyway on that sort of thing....the Maho guru swore up and down there was no way I could change a 1986 Maho MH400e w/Phillips 432 to color LCD, but I did. (but to clarify there the issue was LCD or not rather than color, as the 432 displays in color already)

Re needed hardware, I've upgraded a number of machines with monochrome CRT's to color LCD where the end result was color display without doing anything other than changing the monitors. Examples include Hurco's (with the double monitors), Bridgeport EZ whatever, and some Fanuc, depends on year and model. I connected up a color monitor to my 1996 Makino KE-55 with Fanuc 20 and it does display some color...but not much...just a graphic here and there in color. But even so more pleasant to look at the text than the green glow of the current CRT so I may change it over eventually to color LCD. (previous was mostly an experiment with a standard computer monitor just to see what it would look like in color)

On the Okuma I was hoping to find out in advance since I have not bought the machine yet. It would influence my buying decision to know if the monitor could be changed to color or not.

That not the sort of thing a distributor would know about and the service gurus would tend to think you are nutty for wanting to change the status quo. Plus they can't be trusted anyway on that sort of thing....the Maho guru swore up and down there was no way I could change a 1986 Maho MH400e w/Phillips 432 to color LCD, but I did. (but to clarify there the issue was LCD or not rather than color, as the 432 displays in color already)

On the Okuma I was hoping to find out in advance since I have not bought the machine yet. It would influence my buying decision to know if the monitor could be changed to color or not.

Don,

I'm not sure comparing your one Maho tech experience to the collective support of an Okuma distributor is a fair comparison. Or, Okuma America for that matter... I don't see what a phone call would hurt?..

And why would a color monitor really sway your purchase decision? Is this a customer requirement, or just personal preference?

Don,

I'm not sure comparing your one Maho tech experience to the collective support of an Okuma distributor is a fair comparison. Or, Okuma America for that matter... I don't see what a phone call would hurt?..
Good lord man, just because I type one example don't assume that is my only experience with service techs and out of the ordinary requests that went nowhere. I could fill paragraphs and paragraphs of similar experiences but there is just so much typing I can justify.

What I'm really looking for here is someone that has already done or knows someone that has done, what I'm proposing. I realize that is a long shot but it could happen.

On the machine mentioned previously, Gosiger ( an Okuma distributor...) replaced the monitor with what I believe was an Okuma factory replacement monitor. I'll ask our previously Okuma certified maintenance staff tomorrow if they have ever done this particular replacement.

Are you looking to use factory parts, or aftermarket monitor? Also, can you tell me the machine model? (Not that it will make any difference, but just in case...)

On the machine mentioned previously, Gosiger ( an Okuma distributor...) replaced the monitor with what I believe was an Okuma factory replacement monitor. I'll ask our previously Okuma certified maintenance staff tomorrow if they have ever done this particular replacement.

Are you looking to use factory parts, or aftermarket monitor? Also, can you tell me the machine model? (Not that it will make any difference, but just in case...)
Okuma LNC8 (Cadet) turning center. Aftermarket monitor...don't worry about the new monitor part, I have that covered. Just need to know if a color LCD will display a few different colors or not on a control that came equipped to display mono LCD. I imagine any color LCD from Okuma would be way beyond the aprox $500 price they sell for in AU.

I asked our in-house guy today. He hadn't done that specific replacement before, but said his gut feeling was that it should work.

My previous employer had this done on a Crown lathe with a 700L control. After it was all said and done, we had a color monitor. It was nothing extravagant - color's and display looking similar to what a Fanuc-15M control would look like.

I'm not sure what Okuma was thinking in the 90's. The old OSP500L controls were CRT and I'm pretty sure some were color.

The only OSP700L I ever used was monochrome only and an LCD.

Then the OSPU10L control was available as color or monochrome in LCD. I used a mill with a U10M that was monochrome, and a lathe with a U10L that was color. I think Okuma was in a Fanuc jealously period with these controls. Everything was an option: graphics, RS232, high-cut, more tool offsets, any kind of decent memory, the time saving M codes for spindle acceleration, etc.

Then the P100 control came out and were all color, but the early ones went back to a CRT. Then later they were LCD.

The P200 and newer are all touch screen LCD.

I asked our in-house guy today. He hadn't done that specific replacement before, but said his gut feeling was that it should work.

My previous employer had this done on a Crown lathe with a 700L control. After it was all said and done, we had a color monitor. It was nothing extravagant - color's and display looking similar to what a Fanuc-15M control would look like.
If it does display color the next thing I wonder is whether the background is black or white ? In other words does it look like the first color Fanuc monitors with the black backgrounds, or does it look pretty much like a home computer screen with white background ?

Black background, white & color text and trace graphics...

In fact, PM me your email, and I'll send you a picture. I cant upload photos from my phone/forum app...

Black background, white & color text and trace graphics...

In fact, PM me your email, and I'll send you a picture. I cant upload photos from my phone/forum app...
Bummer...I was hoping it was white background, since that's what current generation CNC's display. Below is an example of what a 1996 vintage Fanuc 20 looks like with original CRT and then connected to standard issue LCD computer monitor. The color is basically white, gray and a smattering of blue here and there. In contrast a Bridgeport EZ Trak with mono monitor will display full blown multi color when connected to color. Probably because it's more PC based I guess. My email is procyon at hargray.com

kemonitor2.jpgkemonitor3.jpg

?? It looks like that... Black background, white and color graphics. I'll try to post up a pic from a computer later...

Edit: Taken from one of our grinders. (The only OSP700L in the shop...) You colors/graphics may vary...
photo (3).jpg

Last edited:

Back