What's new
What's new

Okuma spindle head cooling unit alarm (596B alarm)

rongreathouse

Plastic
Have a Okuma MC-4VAE that has been throwing a 596 alarm b. checked the internal fuses and they all good. Have had a hvac tech come in they say the compressor is good and has refrigerant in it with proper pressure. Fans are working and the spindle oil pump is working and pumping oil. but we are still getting alarm. anyone have any ideas or ran into similar issues? Chiller unit is a MAC 45c-mr-v-1

Attachments

• okuma1.jpg
    okuma1.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 47
  • okuma2.jpg
    okuma2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 48
Was it working correctly before the alarm started? As in you had this machine in service previously or it's new to you?

These have a couple simple safety switches that can fail and cause a chiller alarm. Check that the reservoir does or doesn't have a level switch. If it does, is it working? Also check the fluid pump. I believe there's a pressure or flow switch to confirm the pump is moving fluid.

Lastly, there's a temp switch to confirm the whole system is functioning.

So, even though it says cooling unit, it can also be the liquid side of the system.

Was it working correctly before the alarm started? As in you had this machine in service previously or it's new to you?

These have a couple simple safety switches that can fail and cause a chiller alarm. Check that the reservoir does or doesn't have a level switch. If it does, is it working? Also check the fluid pump. I believe there's a pressure or flow switch to confirm the pump is moving fluid.

Lastly, there's a temp switch to confirm the whole system is functioning.

So, even though it says cooling unit, it can also be the liquid side of the system.
How do you see these sensors in the electrical diagram. I have paged through thoroughly and cannot locate them. I would much rather check wires than tear apart the cooling unit.

How do you see these sensors in the electrical diagram. I have paged through thoroughly and cannot locate them. I would much rather check wires than tear apart the cooling unit.
I wish I could say I understood the electrical diagrams in the book but I have zero training in that. The chiller unit is a fairly modular thing as in the bring in the built chillers and attache them to the machine during the build.

If you can see the pump, you should also be able to see the flow and level switches. It could even be as simple as the level switch is gunky and stuck in the down position.

Back