What's new
What's new

okuma support and service

daffyff

Plastic
Hi all,
I am looking to buy a new machine. I am considering an okuma genos m460-5ax. I like the machine and the features are interesting. What I am worried about is support and service. I'm a one man shop and certain companies don't care to offer the best service to our kind (DMG-Mori, Maatsura, etc). I want to know if Okuma is one of those companies.
Thanks,
Shawn

Hi all,
I am looking to buy a new machine. I am considering an okuma genos m460-5ax. I like the machine and the features are interesting. What I am worried about is support and service. I'm a one man shop and certain companies don't care to offer the best service to our kind (DMG-Mori, Maatsura, etc). I want to know if Okuma is one of those companies.
Thanks,
Shawn

This was me 8 years ago and I went with Mazak. Big regrets on that decision. Lots of problems with the machine and neither Mazak or their distributor I purchased from gave a shit. I had like 2 machines at the time.

I bought a used Okuma and Morris Great Lakes supported that used machine 10x better than Mazak supported a new one. I ditched mazak and have a shop full of new and used Okuma mills and lathes.

If they made a saw I'd have one of those too. MGL is awesome to work with. No regrets there.

I Added my M460-5AX about a year ago.

Haas Disappointed me on service for my old VF-2, Sl-10 and VF-1 charging hours of transit time but they were down the street both times. Then on sales just lying on options or saying just sign the PO and we will sort the other out.

Yamazen Treated me great on my Brother S700x1 Needing a bit more went with Okuma M560, Followed that up with a L2000MY. My Dealer is Hartwig. Last year almost got a Haas UMC500 But in the end Okuma and Brother wanted to help make me money ( So I would buy more machines from them, this seems to have worked.) Haas was more like chevy dealer.. Just sell the machine and be done with it. With Yamazen and Hartwig I have a Support guy on the other end of a Imessage, Email or phone call to very quickly sort when I was programming something wrong, or just needed some advice. ;) To me this was what made the deal.

Feel free to reach out about the 460-5AX Im still working on post for HSM/Fusion but its been making parts and thankfully money all year. The main guys from Autodesk and Okuma Charlotte are helping. Going from the 4 axis 560 has been a little tough. Some clearance issues sorted by working on tool change position etc have solved most of it. Some parts that ran 5 or 6 setups are now done in 2 I only wish mine had Air/Hydro to the table for an auto vice eventually.

Login • Instagram

If anyone is looking at Okuma m460 or m560 always consider the extended warranty on the spindle. We have had every spindle in these machines out of the machine in the the first 24 months since new. They have had O-ring issues. They work well after service, but we now would always get a long spindle warranty.

If anyone is looking at Okuma m460 or m560 always consider the extended warranty on the spindle. We have had every spindle in these machines out of the machine in the the first 24 months since new. They have had O-ring issues. They work well after service, but we now would always get a long spindle warrant

My 2016.8 560 started leaking a bit then got worse.. I was saving up to fix it Called my salesman at Hartwig (and okuma) They were down and fixed a couple days later! 1 day on site 2 technicians. Covered even on an older machine was a amazing to me. So may be worth speaking with your dealer and Okuma if you have an issue. I have 3 Okumas so not a huge shop.

Other than that Oring seal the damper on the tool door closing side broke. We set the air a little slower on them and its been great since.

If anyone is looking at Okuma m460 or m560 always consider the extended warranty on the spindle. We have had every spindle in these machines out of the machine in the the first 24 months since new. They have had O-ring issues. They work well after service, but we now would always get a long spindle warranty.
Curious what the o-ring issue is?

The through spindle coolant O ring starts leaking.
We have paid 10,000 for this repair on a machine that was less then 24 months old. We are looking at a new 460 5ax and will buy the extended spindle coverage

Curious what the o-ring issue is?
The Integral Spindle and bearings are cooled with oil. (Oil has its own refrigerated chiler in the back) The spindle cartridge is sealed into the headstock with ~9" x 1/4" Orings. These allow some chiller oil to mix with the coolant. It smells like auto arts washer solvent.

Hartwig has provided excellent support for Okuma. Hard to.imagine any better support. Okuma itself has great tech support for the Hartwig guys to fall back on.

Mazak is my only other refernce point. It has been years ago but the support was absolutely abysmal.

YMMV. There may be regional distributor support. Suss out support in your area.

Back