What's new
What's new

Opinion on a Okuma Macturn 350w

zachrabbit15

Plastic
Hello, we are looking at a Okuma Macturn 350w. I have very little experience with Okuma, Mostly Mori and Haas. How hard is the controls to learn? Are these decent machines for alum and 41series steel.

Looking for opinions about the machine from anyone that has operated one.
Thanks
Zach

Hello, we are looking at a Okuma Macturn 350w. I have very little experience with Okuma, Mostly Mori and Haas. How hard is the controls to learn? Are these decent machines for alum and 41series steel.

Looking for opinions about the machine from anyone that has operated one.
Thanks
Zach

Does it have a P100 control or a P200? P200 is much more capable. As long as the machine is not high hours and whipped they are solid machines. This is of course if you are looking at a used machines. The "new" Macturns are Multus U.

Macturns are very good machines, not as stout as a Mori NT but still very good and dependable. We have 8 of them and they are great machines for aluminum and 410 sst. Be happy to answer your questions.

George

The Shop I work for has a 350W. We are a job shop and we don't see large production runs. It is mostly used for specific parts that really benefit from that type of machine. If tools break and the machine has to be stopped, it can be time consuming to get it up and running again, especially if it is a long program. I think ours has an OSP100 control. When we machine aluminum, and can leave it alone, it seems to be pretty efficient. I have found that the lower turret is extremely accurate, while I will see up to .oo2 deviation on diameters that are turned by the upper turret, as the machine heats up. The lower turret stays within tenths, even after weeks of sitting. But that might just be ours. I know it has been crashed pretty hard in the past. I really like Okuma controls, and I think they are pretty simple to learn. I will say that we have several Okuma turning centers and they are extremely reliable. But the Macturn seems to be quite problematic compared to those. Another thing different about this kind of machine is making sure you have a good post processor for it.

Does it have a P100 control or a P200? P200 is much more capable. As long as the machine is not high hours and whipped they are solid machines. This is of course if you are looking at a used machines. The "new" Macturns are Multus U.

Yeah a Multus is out of the budget currently. What are the main differences from the 100 to the 200 controller? I think the machine we are looking at has a OSCE-100L control. Will be running mostly aluminum and 4140 steel.

Back