What's new
What's new

Osp p300m syncro-tapping question

snydersux425

Aluminum
Ok, after searching for 2 days in every book we have, I'm still stuck on the synchronized tapping. I found a G284 sync tap code. Works great!! My problem is I'm going 3 inches deep. I want to peck at each inch. Full retract!!
Can any one help me on this. And for future reference, on how to do a short retract also.
Thanx
Jay

Why would you want to peck? Is that for chip removal? If so couldn't you blast out your hole before tapping?

I don't have my book right in front of me, I will check it tomorrow, so don't hold me to the exact letters, but I think if you set both your "L" and "K" values to 1 inch it will tap to 1" depth, full retract, as many times as required to hit your z depth. I believe "L" is the peck depth with partial retract, "K" is the depth for full retract.

If it's just a onesie twosie part you can hit slide hold in the middle of the tapping cycle and the machine will reverse out and wait at the clearance plane. If you push the cycle start again it will continue tapping. You can do this as many times in a thread as you want.

I don't know how you write the code for peck tapping. Hopefully someone will know so I can add it to my bag of tricks.

Edsters way would be the quick way to get it done on a low number. Else use multiple tap cycles at each location, designating your increasing depth and use E to designate spindle orientation angle the same at start of each cycle. Test it first though. My old girl (much older) seems to have a glitch in that it still tries to orient the spindle while tapping and will throw an alarm because it will timeout on orientation when using E unless it happens quick enough. But I don't know of any peck tapping, on the earlier controls anyway

Found some mill programs that I had with me, give this a try:
Peck tapping
G283 Z(DEPTH) E(START ANGLE SPINDLE DEGREE) Q(PECK DEPTH FULL RETRACT) P(DWELL AT BOTTOM) F(FEED) R(RETRACT PLANE)

Not sure how far back exactly this will work (at least P200; P300 is the newest control). Got my signals crossed with my earlier post, those are the lathe characters for peck tapping. My bad.

EDIT: corrected definition "E" variable

Lance

Last edited:
If it's just a onesie twosie part you can hit slide hold in the middle of the tapping cycle and the machine will reverse out and wait at the clearance plane. If you push the cycle start again it will continue tapping. You can do this as many times in a thread as you want.

I don't know how you write the code for peck tapping. Hopefully someone will know so I can add it to my bag of tricks.

It is a one pc. So if I hit slide hold, it will retract out of the hole? When hitting cycle start, it will feed back in?
If this is true, that's cool as f***!!!!
Id still like to know how to do the peck tap tho. I like to use it on deep blind holes. I find, that the chips don't bind up around the collet, and gives good coolant flow when you peck every inch or so.
Thanx for all the ideas. I will give them all a try in morning. Just as soon as I figure out why, after all day touching tools off on the setter, it's telling me I can't!!!

Back