What's new
What's new

OSP100E battery change procedure

Edster

Diamond
I've got a 2005 Okuma MCV4020 with the OSP100E control. So far I've never encountered the low battery alarm on this machine. It's almost 10 years old now and I thought it would be a good idea to change the control battery before it dies. I just changed the cmos batteries on my P200 machines, but I don't know how to change the battery on the 100E.

I've got control backups just in case but would rather just change the battery now and not have to deal with lost parameters, etc.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance :cheers:

Yea I've changed out the batteries on my Okuma Howa recently and just leave all the power on, and make sure you get the correct battery. I had to go threw Fanuc to get the batteries after the mistake of buying them off Amazon.

Good luck,
Lex

All of our Okumas alarm out for a battery change every 10 years... Then we have to get an Okuma rep to come in and clear the alarms with a program after we change the batteries. Are we doing something wrong?

I just changed out the battery and it was super simple. I actually changed it with the power on and in estop and had no problems. Then I remembered the alarm needs to be reset and broke out the manual. The procedure in the manual was easy and written well.

Basically you open the cabinet and flip a switch on the control's computer, then hit the reset button above the switch. The control boots into a maintenance mode where you can backup user files and system parameters to floppy. After backing everything up start the battery change procedure. Supposedly it charges a capacitor so the battery can be changed with the main power off. I already changed the battery so I didn't test this. I was just going through the motions to reset the alarm. Powered the machine back up and it booted back into maintenance mode. Continuing the battery change procedure and the machine verifies the battery voltage and checks the memory. If all is good your done, flip the switch back and hit reset again and the machine will boot normally. If the memory is lost there are tools in maintenance mode to restore the user files and system parameters from the backup you just made.

After I made my backups to floppy I wanted to copy the files to my pc, I don't trust backups on floppys that much. Since the only floppy drive I have left is in the machine I wondered if I could use the network (DNC DT option) to transfer from the floppy to my pc. I tried it and it worked perfect!

Back