What's new
What's new

pls, something about excel programing for osp ?

deadlykitten

Banned
hello :) does somebody uses excel to program the cnc ? or something like that ?

i think there is something, but so far i have no experience with this ...

hello :) does somebody uses excel to program the cnc ? or something like that ?

i think there is something, but so far i have no experience with this ...

.never mind okuma ?? i have no ideal what that even is
are you talking microsoft excel ? and what is osp ?
microsoft excel can do math. calculating bolt hole circle even different sizes and starting hole at a different angle, cutting slots, cutting circles where lead in and load out and circle center not X0 Y0....... excel can calculate stuff easily
not the fastest to setup but it can recalculate a lot of math fast

Excel can do a lot of things once you learn some tricks. I use a series of Excel "calc" sheets I created that do commonly used calculations. I've many times used it as a database (I have one with links to certain PM threads) and it certainly can do work to assist CNC entry. The trick is to create templates that can be reused for similar jobs.

This article mentions OUTPUTTING data from the control to Excel but nothing about using it for input. It should be possible but would likely involve some tricky formatting in Excel and using many of the functions including CONCATENATE which merges text from multiple columns.

Hidden CNC Control Functions | Okuma

I have used Excel to generate complicated tool paths with G code. Generate the path mathematically or whatever, then concatenate the step information with G0, feeds, speeds and such. Output the file as a text file which G code can read. I've done spirals, sine waves, oblate spirals and such.

Tom

please guys, some examples / files ? kindly !

excel files i have require knowing how excel uses formulas and being able to create formulas in excel. not 100% ability to create gcode without understanding excel.
its like being given Mastercam software but if not trained in how to use you are limited in being able to do much of anything with it

Attachments

• excel12.jpg
    excel12.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 543
  • Excel14.jpg
    Excel14.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 429
excel files i have require knowing how excel uses formulas and being able to create formulas in excel
hy Tom :) i know how to create formulas in excel ... so far so good

in those images that you shared, i can see that the excel file has an image inside it

i can display the content of the image dynamically, thus like a chart, changing if input data is changed :)

so i guess is ok ... but how can i export the code ? please, can you share such file ?

This article mentions OUTPUTTING data from the control to Excel but nothing about using it for input. It should be possible but would likely involve some tricky formatting in Excel and using many of the functions including CONCATENATE which merges text from multiple columns.
Hidden CNC Control Functions | Okuma

hy Scott :) those function are for writing data inside a file .... you may use whatever extension, and open the file with whatever program :)

What exactly are you wanting to do with Excel and OSP? Are you wanting a macro style program? Or an actual toolpath?

hy Tom :) i know how to create formulas in excel ... so far so good

in those images that you shared, i can see that the excel file has an image inside it

i can display the content of the image dynamically, thus like a chart, changing if input data is changed :)

so i guess is ok ... but how can i export the code ? please, can you share such file ?

hy Scott :) those function are for writing data inside a file .... you may use whatever extension, and open the file with whatever program :)
that i cannot do export directly from excel. i usually hand type at control, or do copy paste on desktop pc and transfer file to cnc
my shop setup for only approved programs can be sent to cnc. i can add to a approved program and use the part i added to program. but i cannot create a new program and directly use. engraving numbers on a part i have added to existing program and used. then was told by programmer do not do that as i am wasting time. just cause you can do something does not mean you are allowed to do something.
i wanted fixtures weighing a ton to be labeled engraved with 1.2" big numbers i could see if fixture way up in storage rack. took 30 minutes to do. probably could do it in 20 minutes. but programmer did not want it done

I don't think I can attach a spreadsheet here, but anyone wanting a copy of the spreadsheet I created send me an email address by PM and I will reply with the code and a sample G code file.

Tom

I have used Excel to generate complicated tool paths with G code. Generate the path mathematically or whatever, then concatenate the step information with G0, feeds, speeds and such. Output the file as a text file which G code can read. I've done spirals, sine waves, oblate spirals and such

hy Tom, please, can you share some of those files ? so you can output G code directly from the excel file ?

about complicated toolpath : how do you control segments length ?
... if too long, than surface will not look smooth
... if too short, than machine wont be able to maintain the feed :)

anyone wanting a copy of the spreadsheet I created send me an email address by PM

thank you :) i will :)

What exactly are you wanting to do with Excel and OSP? Are you wanting a macro style program? Or an actual toolpath?

hy Mtndew :) i would like to see some random examples about whatever, so to see how this works ...

when i received training on the lathe, i was told only that there are some possibilities with excel; only that

now i am curious :)

my shop setup for only approved programs can be sent to cnc ... just cause you can do something does not mean you are allowed to do something ... i wanted fixtures weighing a ton to be labeled engraved with 1.2" big numbers i could see if fixture way up in storage rack ... took 30 minutes to do. probably could do it in 20 minutes. but programmer did not want it done

hy TomB :) what means approved program ?

engraving with big chars, so to see stuff on the shell, is not a bad idea

also, engraving is not the only way to identify items, but, again, is not a bad idea

why was your proposal rejected ? because your program was not an approved program ? or because there is used another method to identify fixtures on shell ? kindly !

I was able to print barcodes and text with an Intermec 3000, decades ago, with Excel. Because the printer had a plain- text mode and Windows allowed ASCII

hello again :) from the osp300 INSTRUCTION MANUAL : The attached “Excel Sample Contents CD” contains a set of samples that give access to the data stored in the NC unit. You can use them by editing them according to the type of the NC unit.

please, does someone have this cd ? kindly !

Back