What's new
What's new

Quad drill overload

Blobis

Plastic
I've got a LB3000 EX II, Been drilling with the same program stile for years, with no problem. 1.75 Quad drill into 316L. With a load a around 45 to 60. All the sudden one day I'm drilling and the load gets up to 165 to 200, What the hell. and that's not even making it in the part .1 of a inch. The holder is indicated, part doesn't spin in the jaws, and I've tried three different drills.
Any help would be great.
Thanks ,Bob

I've got a LB3000 EX II, Been drilling with the same program stile for years, with no problem. 1.75 Quad drill into 316L. With a load a around 45 to 60. All the sudden one day I'm drilling and the load gets up to 165 to 200, What the hell. and that's not even making it in the part .1 of a inch. The holder is indicated, part doesn't spin in the jaws, and I've tried three different drills.
Any help would be great.
Thanks ,Bob
hard metal or hard spots in metal (usually slag)
not all metal is the same, SS also varies if work hardened (for example from cold rolling) or annealed. effects machinability and tool life

With a load a around 45 to 60

hy :) why is the load changing so much ? is it changing as the drill goes deepper, or different parts are subject to different loads ( thus material is not homogenuous ) ?

load gets up to 165 to 200

pfff ... that may lead to useless costs :) if possible, use a load limit of 61 ... 65 %

The holder is indicated

if you wish, please :
... describe your alignment method ( perhaps something can be improved )
... share tool diameter & active length ( quad drills have some stability issues )
... share hole depth

if you use such a tool looooong enough, at some point, the toolholder get's less resistant, but i doubt that this is your case, since you experiment same thing with 3 different tools. i would 1st look into alignment, and try to find out why, during ' normal ' conditions, is the load between 45 - 60 ... this may be an early sign that something may happen ( load diagram should reveal a few answers, may show chip evacuation problems, etc ) / kindly :)

Come to find out its the machine, I have another LB3000 EX II,switched everything over to that one, same program and tools and now I'm cruising right along, I knew it wasn't the material cause I had made some already, so something happend. Having it checked out soon, thanks for the write backs.
Bob

Back