What's new
What's new

Seeking opinions on an HMC - Okuma MA600HB

kuraki556

Cast Iron
I'm in the market for a used 630mm HMC. I'm going to be looking at a 2010 Okuma MA600HB. I have no experience with Okuma machines, other than I believe they're reasonably high quality machines based on word of mouth, and on paper, this machine is exactly what I'm looking for. That said, I'm wondering if anyone has any particular comments about this model, such as chip management/evacuation issues, whether the tool changer is stable or if recovery is a PITA, or any other quirks.

Thanks.

I'm in the market for a used 630mm HMC. I'm going to be looking at a 2010 Okuma MA600HB. I have no experience with Okuma machines, other than I believe they're reasonably high quality machines based on word of mouth, and on paper, this machine is exactly what I'm looking for. That said, I'm wondering if anyone has any particular comments about this model, such as chip management/evacuation issues, whether the tool changer is stable or if recovery is a PITA, or any other quirks.

Thanks.

STAY AWAY.. We have one and it is a dog.. Runs about 50% of the time, down for the rest due to repairs.

STAY AWAY.. We have one and it is a dog.. Runs about 50% of the time, down for the rest due to repairs.
Can you give more details as to what machine you have, how old, what applications you are using it in? I have never heard of an Okuma of any flavor being a that bad of a dog. Some of the olf O & H's were a little finicky (weren't Okuma until they were bought by Okuma.), but still not that bad.

Thanks.

We have 2 2011 MA0600HB mills (our first Okumas). Having mostly Fanuc controls up to this point, there is a learning curve with the control (OSP-P200M), but are OK for the most part. We have the Matrix tool mags, which are great when running, but can be a bear (and dangerous) recovering. Recovery mode allows for a single step at a time (forward or backward), which works great unless there is an actual problem (switch not making, etc.). When they were less than a month old, an Okuma tech was trying to recover, and he entered a sequence number that was 2 or 3 steps ahead of where the machine actually was, and crashed the carrier hard into a couple of tool racks.

Chip management can be an issue also. Mainly, coolant tank design is lacking. Chips get out of the machine OK, but a lot of chips get past the magnetic conveyor and into the tank. Also tank is not deep enough. With tons of wash coolant, tank level drops considerably while running, causing our thru-spindle coolant unit to alarm out.

But the machines, overall, have been a positive experience.

Note: I am an in-house service tech...not an operator or programmer.

Yeah, the first machines with the P200 controls definitely had some issues. The matrix changer is poorly thought out at best. We should have gotten a chain.

The MA machines are better than the MBs. Is this a 50 taper?

Yeah, the first machines with the P200 controls definitely had some issues. The matrix changer is poorly thought out at best. We should have gotten a chain.

The MA machines are better than the MBs. Is this a 50 taper?

Yes, 50 taper with Big Plus. 50-12000 RPM 40HP spindle. 85 tools so I'm guessing not a matrix. Full 4th axis, 1000 psi TSC.

The only reason I'm looking at this is because the 2011 Makino A81 I was going to buy was taken off the market. The only other used machine I have in my sights is an older, 2007 A81, with 2x as many hours as the Okuma, and for only a little less money. I'd prefer the A81, but machines with that many hours scare me as I'm generally more concerned with downtime than having "the best" machine, and in my experience, regardless of brand, the lower the hours, the lower the downtime. (Might be "stupid little stuff" that breaks, but if it's down it's down).

We have 2 2011 MA0600HB mills (our first Okumas). Having mostly Fanuc controls up to this point, there is a learning curve with the control (OSP-P200M), but are OK for the most part. We have the Matrix tool mags, which are great when running, but can be a bear (and dangerous) recovering. Recovery mode allows for a single step at a time (forward or backward), which works great unless there is an actual problem (switch not making, etc.). When they were less than a month old, an Okuma tech was trying to recover, and he entered a sequence number that was 2 or 3 steps ahead of where the machine actually was, and crashed the carrier hard into a couple of tool racks.

Chip management can be an issue also. Mainly, coolant tank design is lacking. Chips get out of the machine OK, but a lot of chips get past the magnetic conveyor and into the tank. Also tank is not deep enough. With tons of wash coolant, tank level drops considerably while running, causing our thru-spindle coolant unit to alarm out.

But the machines, overall, have been a positive experience.

Note: I am an in-house service tech...not an operator or programmer.

Thank you that's very helpful.

The MA machines are better than the MBs.

The MB's are quicker but the MA's are more rigid. As to which is better it depends on the work you plan to do.

http://www.okuma.com/horizontal-machining-centers

I have a MB and for the work I do it's perfect. I've had it since 2011 and haven't had any problems with it. I don't have as many hours as I'd like on the machine yet, for lack of fixturing. Hard to drop the coin on fixturing when there is a good size payment every month. We're getting closer though. Every job I get setup and running on the machine improves the ROI.

Back