What's new
What's new

Okuma LS worth buying?

roadcracks

Plastic
I have opportunity to buy this older LS
S/N: 5001-5241 CAPACITY : 18X50 for $5000 CDN which is $4000 US
Any idea what year it is?
It runs well, everything works, not perfect but then again its probably 45 years old

Problem is; I do not have 3 phase.
I can buy invertor for the main 10hp motor but what do I do with the other electrics such as relays pumps etc.

I just need a good general purpose lathe to handle the work I sub out. The work does not require tool room accuracy.

Any help with respect to Okuma LS models will be appreciated.

I have an LS running on a 20hp VFD, derated to 10 since it's running single phase. I think it's a great machine. Plenty accurate for me and has some nice features. As for the other electrics, I'm using the original switches to start and stop the VFD. The motor wires direct to the VFD, nothing in between. The only other thing ifs the coolant pump which I don't use. If I needed it I would probably find a single phase pump. I don't think you could go wrong.

I have opportunity to buy this older LS
S/N: 5001-5241 CAPACITY : 18X50 for $5000 CDN which is $4000 US
Any idea what year it is?
It runs well, everything works, not perfect but then again its probably 45 years old

Problem is; I do not have 3 phase.
I can buy invertor for the main 10hp motor but what do I do with the other electrics such as relays pumps etc.

I just need a good general purpose lathe to handle the work I sub out. The work does not require tool room accuracy.

Any help with respect to Okuma LS models will be appreciated.
As to the 3 phase power issue.. don't know the specifics of your electrical grid but here in the US I would just buy or build a rpc so that the whole machine is supplied with 3 phase. One rpc will power the machine, and others. Work with no modifications. My rpc cost less than 400.00 to build and works very well.

Back