What's new
What's new

VMC pull studs

magshop

Plastic
New forum user here.

I started at my current shop last fall, and the previous guy quit suddenly. So no one knows really what is what around here. I have been struggling with getting consistent parts, tools chipping out really fast (with light cuts). It was blamed on the spindle needing to be reground. I finally decided to start looking into it more, and I noticed that we have 4 different size pull studs in our tool holders. This is all CAT40. I put hi-spot dye on the holders and I get various results (which is why I checked the pull stud length. The one that our manual lists as correct is over $400 from okuma, and I cannot seem to find one aftermarket.

I also learned that they have never checked the drawbar force pressure, and I'm trying to get them to look into that as well as getting the correct size studs.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. This is an older V4018. I think 1998.

We've had great luck with J&M. We only have Makino and Matsuura. Never had a failure and they are good on delivery. I think we have been using them for almost 10 years.

New forum user here.

I started at my current shop last fall, and the previous guy quit suddenly. So no one knows really what is what around here. I have been struggling with getting consistent parts, tools chipping out really fast (with light cuts). It was blamed on the spindle needing to be reground. I finally decided to start looking into it more, and I noticed that we have 4 different size pull studs in our tool holders. This is all CAT40. I put hi-spot dye on the holders and I get various results (which is why I checked the pull stud length. The one that our manual lists as correct is over $400 from okuma, and I cannot seem to find one aftermarket.

I also learned that they have never checked the drawbar force pressure, and I'm trying to get them to look into that as well as getting the correct size studs.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. This is an older V4018. I think 1998.

That is the price that Gosiger gave you?
Pull studs are approx $25 each give or take.
Double check your pull stud dimensions,or the part number and shop around.

That is exactly what I thought. I called Gosiger up, gave them the part number for my CAT40 pull stud, and they sent the wrong pull stud at first. So I worked with them for a few days to get the right size one, and the final verdict was over $400. I even had them double check that as well lol.

To be honest, I'm not sure what one we really need. We don't know what our clamp pressure is currently. We have multiple options for pull studs, so how do we even find the pressure? My thought was to just get the one listed in the book and start there. But that lead to the $400 price.

So should we just buy something the length listed in the book and then check drawbar force? I'm looking at you Maritool. I've looked at your site and I do not see the stud in my book under the Okuma pull studs.

Email me the print in the manual. I will make some sense of it. Go through the contact us page on the site then I will provide my email address for files. $400.00 for a pull stud is down right ridiculous.

My files show they it should take a PS-11122 or PS-11123 ? Ignore if total lengths do not match. Head and stem diameters are important. Also Knob angle and its distance to the flange base.

If your company's been running improper pull studs for a while, the spindle taper may be damaged a bit. It might make sense to check this, fix if needed, then do a drawbar load test. If the belleville washers haven't been replaced in a while the reading may be wrong even with the correct studs, so there's another area of concern.

From your OP, it sounds like the company hasn't taken a lot of care of the equipment, hopefully you'll be able to change their culture...

Milland, that is exactly what is going on. So I'm doing my best for a while. If they don't want to hear it, I'll just move on to a place that is a better fit for me. But I'm going to give it 100% while I'm here.

"Contact us" form submitted.

I am having a hard time getting any clear information of what went on when the machine was purchased. So in my previous experience, that means going back to step one and starting over again. Make no assumptions. just get things right.

Our spindle is damaged. That part was something they knew from before I was hired, but the cost to repair it has been deemed to high.

Last edited:
Update as of 5/19.

The issue of why the drawbar force and retention knobs need to be looked at is being considered by the higher ups. Frank from Maritool was a big help and was very patient with me, and that was great!

UPDATE 6/15/2016

All the information that I was able to get from here and from Frank was used to convince the office guys to bring in an guy from Gosinger. Who found a ton of things that needed work, including getting the spindle reground. we had only a few studs that were the correct ones. That was good to hear that I wasn't going crazy.

Even though we had our spindle reground, the office guys didn't see a reason to buy new tool holders, so I was told to just put them back in. I used high spot dye to decide what the worst ones were, and I threw them in our scrap bin and covered them in a lot of chips. So hopefully it will take a while for the spindle to need to be reground.

Back