Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Or line them up in a row, replace the handles with stock gears from Boston, and run a rack across all three to actuate them simultaneously.
    If I can get both CW and CCW opening valves, I could do away with the rack and just mesh the gears directly.

I heard back from Swagelock and they do a geared 2- or 3-valve to a single handle in 1/4" tube (model GSM), but I'm using 3/8 pipe or 1/2 tube. I'll have to run the flow calcs and see how bad it would be to neck it down.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by atomarc View Post
    There isn't a common line that feeds the 3 'pipes' that could be shut off? Probably not. Ganging the 3 handles together with linkage isn't a option? Probably not.
    Sadly, there need to be multiple air lines coming in. Unless there is a major redesign and we switch to much more expensive components.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's nice to see the OP get back and respond to all the various suggestions..even Stu's silly one. A sub-sea environment certainly would complicate things I suppose. I sure would investigate pneumatic valves further though.

Stuart

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Daniel:

You might look at these 1/2" butterfly valves. I would think the stem could be extended downward to couple to additional valves.

B5101 Series Butterfly Valve with Pull Handle Clamp End | Dixon Valve US

Or perhaps other butterfly valve manufacturers could supply these.

Regards,

DB

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
    A double stem valve would be ideal. They wouldn't even require a linkage. Attach the back stem of valve 1 to the front stem of valve 2 with a rigid coupling. Back of valve 2 to front of valve 3. Unfortunately, as you point out, I've never seen a double stem valve.
    Probably wouldn't be a hard modification to a trunnion mounted ball valve since the body is already machined for a cap on the bottom. Granted, I don't think I've see a trunnion valve smaller than 12", much smaller than that and they just float.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did something similar with three rotary disconnects with one handle, 90 deg operation. Used laser burned linkage from 10GU stainless with short shoulder bolts. Hundreds of these in use but none under water. A short stroke cylinder operator would be easy to rig. I can snap a photo and post if you like.

7. Likes Scottl, Limy Sami liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Depending on the pressures involved,if you could use pinch valves they have an advantage in that there is no mechanical linkage involved so no corrosion or linkage wear to worry about.You could even use a liquid to actuate them if that would offer any advantage.They are available in plastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sadly, there need to be multiple air lines coming in. Unless there is a major redesign and we switch to much more expensive components.
    Groco makes a stacked three way fuel.

GROCO FV-Series Six-Port Fuel Valve | West Marine

Not sure if this is even close for your application but we use these on boats as a tank selector valves. You can switch between two tanks for an engine and never have issues of messing up with individual valves.

These are cast marine bronze.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In case you are not familiar with pinch valves,this is one type. https://www.redvalve.com/uploads/Ext...ves/Type_A.pdf
    I have some in 1/2" and think they are made in smaller sizes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Easiest way is to use these

Belimo B212B+TR24-SR-T US Motorized ball valves in any voltage

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Drroaster, did you miss the part about being dunked underwater?Possibly saltwater(he said undersea).
    Personally I'm a big fan of the KISS principal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No I did not my bad thank you omit my last post haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have seen two large gate valves side by side tied together with chain. But that doesnt help here. It seems that a simple tie bar would work if the operator was gripping the bar

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by surplusjohn View Post
    I have seen two large gate valves side by side tied together with chain. But that doesnt help here. It seems that a simple tie bar would work if the operator was gripping the bar
    Exactly. Think of something like the throttles on a jet. In this case however the handle would be solid so no valve could be moved independently. All it requires is that the links be "L" shaped so the handle doesn't hit the tubes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

weld the capital letter 'E' about 3-4 inches tall

Weld it to the ends of the handles at a right angle to the handles such that when in the 'open' position it does not interfere with the valves or pipe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Since there doesn't appear to be an off the shelf solution I'm curious why a simple linkage to gang the valves isn't an option?

What gustafson suggested is essentially the same as what I suggested except that instead of welding I suggested a fabricated linkage that works the same way. The levers don't need to be bent 90 degrees (an L shape). Instead they could be straight with a threaded rod and spacers to connect. Where they would vary from the standard handle is that the opening that attaches to the valve stem would be offset 45 degrees from normal. Normally a ball valve handle is perpendicular when closed and parallel when opened. These would be at 45 degrees one way when closed and 45 degrees the other way when open.

Making the levers would be a simple job for a shop with a water jet.

If there is room, one lever could be extra long so it is easier to grab and manipulate.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is what we do for 3 ganged motor disconnects adjacent to one another . . .

0721201412.jpg

19. Likes Mud, atomarc, Comatose, gustafson, Limy Sami and 3 others liked this post