What's new
What's new

Is this a 5 or 6 axis robot ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Even though 6 motion specs listed, I presume 5 axis, yes ?

robot7.jpg

D.

I’d be thinking 6, they all seem to be their own freedoms of movement. What was the concern about it being 5? I guess the Upper & Lower arm movements are basically parallel. But I think that still counts as two.

Regards Phil.

That shows a 6 axis robot arm.

Motoman arms come in just a couple axis all the way up to the new 7 axis arms. They usually paint their arms gray here in the US and blue in the European plant. I see this is yellow and it may have been repainted, it is 10 years old. Yellow is the Fanuc robotics color.

Do you have more information? Is the controller an ECR or MRC?

Cheers
Dave

Yes it can. Six axis robots are used load and unload all kinds of machine tools. One common application is tending to an injection molding machine.

Setting up a robot for loading a lathe is complicated and expensive so you would only want to consider it for a large production run and especially if it was dealing with hazardous conditions.

it would be cool...

my boss is giving me a hard time about getting a new guy to run a machine for me...

so maybe this would be good...
maybe it can help us...

probably expensive as all hell...

I have two of these Motoman robots set up for welding. The robots are old, for robots...1986...but the Miller Invision welding system is pretty late..1999 I think.

Solar, you need my pristine Staubli robot shown here www.procyonmachine.com/cgi/disp_prod.pl?pg=prod&item=23 Just needs a proper gripper for your application and load away ! (well, ok, you need some sort of conveyor to feed your rough stock to a common stopping point where it will grab them, too !)

Rather than integrate the robot completely such that exit of the arm from the lathe machining zone automatically sets door closing and cycle start sequence, I think in your case it would be appropriate if you add one pointy finger to the gripper and have the robot manually hit the cycle start button....maybe add a mouth and cigarette somewhere on the backside

Back