What's new
What's new

Brother Gearmotors

DanielG

Stainless
Has anyone used Brother gearmotors? They're permanent magnet motors rather than induction.

I was planning to use a 1/4 or 1/2 HP SEW Eurodrive unit with brake, but I may need something lighter and smaller. The Brothers look good, but I've never seen one out in the wild. Weight is about half of the SEW unit and pricing isn't bad.

The other option I looked at is Bodine, but they don't offer the unit I need with a brake.

You must be referring to the brushless DC motor family.

They also make a very complete family of traditional AC 3ph induction gearmotors. Very robust design with excellent gear quality.

We use them in production environments with almost zero failure at 30-40000hrs of run time. The few failures we have seen were directly caused by abuse.

I went and looked again. Apparently I was looking at an AC induction motor, it's just much more compact than the SEW Eurodrive unit. They also have a range of permanent magnet synchronous AC motors. They apparently slot in between the induction motors and the BLDC motors. Hard to tell anything since their website is so terrible.

Thanks for the info on your experience.

Back