What's new
What's new

Clod Computing

Terrible title and this thread should be closed. That said, the use of the cloud is a HUGE security risk and should be avoided at all costs. Once your data leaves your facility, you have lost all control of its distribution. Essentially, it is now public and you have lost ownership no matter what assurances have been given.

Is the Clod safe?

Not the ones stuck to my shoes after I have been "Outstanding in my field"....:D

BTW the O.P. is nothing but a spammer, locking the thread just keeps feeding
these spammers.
See attached, this is the linky under the OP's name, if the thread is locked,
linky is still active (and spammer still get's the money)

Attachments

• PM-Spammer-Cloud.JPG
    PM-Spammer-Cloud.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 238
Why you need Cloud Computing

Future Scope of Cloud

You can see automation everywhere now a days, Many big enterprises are using Automation system to work smart. They are monitoring their production line and development using Automation system. Their system generates lots of data so they need proper secure environment to store their data so they have only one option and that is cloud. Only Cloud can give you a better security to manage your data.

You can see automation everywhere now a days, Many big enterprises are using Automation system to work smart. They are monitoring their production line and development using Automation system. Their system generates lots of data so they need proper secure environment to store their data so they have only one option and that is cloud. Only Cloud can give you a better security to manage your data.

Bullshit!!!!! Once your data leaves your site, you have no control of what happens to it or how it is distributed. At that point, your data must be considered public, regardless of any assurances given by the storage host. I'm speaking as an IT Professional for more than 50 years and an NSA service provider. There is nothing that the cloud can offer that you cannot do yourself except the illusion of convenience.

When I compare the language with the various NDA's I've signed over the years to the standard terms and conditions of most cloud providers, I wind up keeping my customer's data where (only) I can keep an eye on it.

Chip

Bullshit!!!!! Once your data leaves your site, you have no control of what happens to it or how it is distributed. At that point, your data must be considered public, regardless of any assurances given by the storage host. I'm speaking as an IT Professional for more than 50 years and an NSA service provider. There is nothing that the cloud can offer that you cannot do yourself except the illusion of convenience.

I'm not quite as paranoid as the quote above however: If I were to put anything critical out in the cloud then I would use the best encryption algorithm I could find and store the key locally. Maybe with a backup copy on portable storage and tucked away in the company safe or a safe deposit box. Losing the key is an absolute killer.

Someone like the guy in the quote above could give you good advice on a pretty much bomb proof protocol for backups.

I'm not quite as paranoid as the quote above however: If I were to put anything critical out in the cloud then I would use the best encryption algorithm I could find and store the key locally. Maybe with a backup copy on portable storage and tucked away in the company safe or a safe deposit box. Losing the key is an absolute killer.

Someone like the guy in the quote above could give you good advice on a pretty much bomb proof protocol for backups.

Yep...encrypt it...before it leaves your domain, not one the way over.
Maybe use TOR for transfer.

That’s a lot of hassle just to have your data available from anywhere.

It isn't about "paranoid". It is about "prudent".

The challenge is "legal". Liability every bit as much as it is technical. Or more so.

An "intimate familiarity" with the UK Data Protection Act(s) was once part of Day Job, Cable & Wireless, plc. The Global Customer Information Database. The Global Purchasing Management System. And more, before those - we operated in 60 countries back in that day - or they'd not have created the job for me to sort those two.

Retired to Hong Kong, new firm of my own, one of my Directors had sold the first computer ever installed in Hong Kong, gone on to have a major role in crafting THEIR DP Act.

We were ever-and-always "aware".

Short answer?

Your Corporate ASS.. your very right to EXIST as an entity under the law ...your sacred fortune, should you be so competent, hard-working (and/or just fortunate) to even HAVE such... ..all go off-premises and are put onto the line in some other operator's "clod" right along with that off-site data.

That simple.

Risky partly because it IS avoidable.

You did not have to take that risk. "Best Current Practice" sets a higher bar.

Ergo if/as/when it goes pear-shaped?

You've failed the "prudent man" test, right up front, whether a court knows the least thing about technology or not.

You had safer options, and failed to exercise them. You had NOT exercised "Best Current Practice" on behalf of those served.

Some things can go into a "clod", surely.

The vast majority of humankind's knowledge is safely public. No need to hide a dictionary, a set of logarithmic tables, the history of "wheel" houses in Ireland, the recipe for bean soup, inch/metric fastener standards, and certainly not a catalog page for anything actually meant to be sold to the public.

Other information? Best NOT "clod" it!

cloud basically saying files are on computer network and not on local computer so when network is not working things stop
people been selling the ideal of network computers basically server and workstations since computers were first used well over 50 years ago. all they did was use a different name for it and try to make more money off the name change

My opinion: cloud is great for backup and somewhat more reliable than the usual local system. How ever being paranoid ... I'm not, I'm not, I'm not. :-) My feeling is that the cloud should be used for backup, well obfuscated and encrypted. ONSHAPE sounds great and may be the future but... Your data is only as safe as you make it.
Many years ago I work for a company that contracted for an accounting system to replace the as hoc one I wrote in an emergency to keep a private account solvent. The replacement was base on a pc with unix and they (management) proudly boasted that is was secure. Ha. Serial line in... for remote maintenance. Except that I really need to survive another year in order to retire I'd have split the serial line; logged the login and I'd been in. Did I do it... no I just wanted out of there. I hope managers today are more savvy. But then I'm just a well retired chemist/microbioligst what the hell do I know. :-) Physical security is supreme!

ps. I've been retired for 25 years. (smiling)!

As DMF_TomB said, when the network is down your data is inaccessible. I ran into a similar problem years ago at a large company that had multiple facilities. They wanted all design files stored on the server at headquarters and when the network went down all CAD work ceased for several hours at the facility I was in.

Another issue with "the cloud" is the level of industrial espionage perpetrated by foreign nations. No matter how careful the host company is a single trapdoor or spyware on any of the servers in between can compromise the data flowing over the internet. Years ago the Chinese installed an extra chip that was not part of the design on server boards they manufactured for a company. It was a trapdoor that compromised the sensitive data of hundreds of entities. Perhaps next time instead of an extra chip that can be detected they'll incorporate the function into an existing chip that looks just like the original.

Back