What's new
What's new

Custom Granite Supplier for Machines?

cwo5035

Plastic
Hello Everyone,

I have been doing some search on the internet for local supplier that can custom granite used in machines in US. Anyone happen to know suppliers other than Starrett? I know Starrett could be the best, but it would be good to have more options.

Cheers!

Depending on what you need, a "Monument" company may be able to supply a quality granite block fairly fast and relatively inexpensively. If you need a precision lapped surface, you could have that done elsewhere after having the basic block shaped.

Rock of Ages did precision surface plates at one time, might be worth checking into. And in fact, they still do: Precision Products | Rock of Ages

Let us know what you find out...

Harcrete ?
An idea that I was all over at the time and I admit way revved up. Turned out not so great.
File this next to hexapod maching centers which I also thought a great idea.
Maybe a time will come for both.
For those that the term strange Harcrete is is granite and epoxy mix that can be poured/pressed into a form. Not real granite but sort of like it.
Bob

There is an outfit in S. New Hampshire that produces a line of machines on granite. I don't have a link and CRS, but a search will return something....

There is an outfit in S. New Hampshire that produces a line of machines on granite. I don't have a link and CRS, but a search will return something....

We have at least two:

Home - Nanotech Ultra-precision Machining Systems

Precitech ultra-precision machines for diamond turning, milling and grinding

Both, I believe, use granite as part of their structures.

Precitech is a surviving company from what was Taylor Hobson (Rank Taylor Hobson).

Nanotech Systems is a remnant of Moore (of jig bore/grinder fame): Ultra-Precision CAM Software Advances Optical Deterministic Capabilities

For a little backwater state, we got some tech here...

Back