What's new
What's new

Electromagnetic Chuck hooked into Haas Relay

GaryHouser

Plastic
Hey all,
I am new to electromagnetic chucks and couldn't find any info on this. Currently I have a vacuum fixture to do all our panel workholding, but I want to look at switching to magnetic.

I guess i'm wondering if I can you wire a chuck to a relay on a Haas and have it controlled by M-code? If possible, would you wire it into a controller first and then wire the controller to the relay or just wire the chuck straight in to the relay and use that as the on-off controller?

Thanks for the response. So if I leave the controller switch to the "on" position, and power off the relay, the magnets will disengage and reengage when the relay is powered? It may be a dumb question, but without being to familiar with the mechanism, I want to make sure before I buy the chuck and controller. Thanks again!

I would say that would be likely but we would neeed to know more about your controller, you may need a contactor to drive it. The little relay in your Haas says on it how much power it can switch, you may have to do some testing to see how much your magnet needs.

DO NOT DROP THE POWER ON A MAG CHUCK. You have to ramp the voltage down and on a large chuck you are going to likely need a de-mag cycle as part of the process.

Dropping the power abruptly causes back EMF as the field collapses You can add a free wheeling diode bridge and some resistance to manage the effect.

And a story. I was in a shop where there was a large mag chuck with something close to 90Vdc on it when the mains power went out. They never found all the pieces of the disconnect switch.

Wow, so on the controller when you switch it to "off" it most likely ramps the voltage to the chuck down slowly. Otherwise, what's the difference between cutting power to the controller vs turning the controller to the off position? I see why automating vac fixtures is easier to find info on ;D. A solenoid powering a vac generator with some monitors wired in seems safer at this point.

Back