What's new
What's new

F'ing with Robots

You KNOW that is a CGI joke, right?
They left out the part where they gave a robot dog, and wanted it to kill it's new little pet.

It's CGI over "motion capture suit", I've seen the run-through footage of the guy with the fiducial target suit on.

Which is not to say that what they show in the clip isn't close to possible, but it's still so much easier to use non-humanoid wheeled and tracked vehicles for trauma inducing right now.

FWIW, I've toured the Waltham Boston Dynamics facility and saw some of the older Spot and humanoid robots. Very cool stuff...

Edit: here's a longer video showing how they made the "Slaughter Bot" vid: We Used CGi to Fake Military Robots - YouTube

Last I checked even military enlisted robots are not allowed to make firing decisions on their own.

"I had the opportunity to observe some of the DARPA challenge a few years ago, it was all tracked and wheeled vehicles."
A walking 6,4, or 2 had no chance in this competition.
However if this was held in the raw wooded area of Northern Michigan all these tracked and wheeled vehicles would not have made 50 feet from home. (unless one was a bulldozer)
Desert or city streets and woods or jungle very different. Here is the love for walkers even if they do not shoot.

I wonder how much money was spent on that video above but it shows how far we have come in the last 2-4 decades.
What do the the next 40 years have to show off or is there a peak and not much new?
Bob

Last I checked even military enlisted robots are not allowed to make firing decisions on their own.
Bob

When they start thinking for themselves we better watch out. That is why some are against the green new deal running so much on electricity.. most of these robot guys/gale don't run on natural gas or fuel oil or steam.

Yes, when I was a kid some ran on wind-up.

Back