What's new
What's new

Force Sensor for CNC Machines

Amanor

Plastic
I have recently have been put in charge in figuring out how to run CNC machines without supervision. We have UR robots to do so but my concern is the breaking of inserts in my CNC lathes. We run mostly bronze and iron material so we get a lot of cast parts where we have issues of Porosity and cracks in the material. So my inserts could last 20 parts or could last 5 and break and when there is no operator around it will damage all the other tools in the remaining toolpaths. Is there a force sensor out there that i could install in the machine to monitor an increase in load that would E-Stop the machine or is there a better way?

I would start by doing some monitoring to get an idea of good tool life in parts, bad life, and an average. If it really is that far all over (15 parts) you will definitely need something to stop the cut when it detects a sudden increase in load. If you can establish something you feel is safe, I think most machines have a tool life monitor in minutes/hours and you could set that and have a guy go inspect the insert when it stops.

What machine are you on? Many have tool load monitoring as well. I would think a significant spike from blowing an insert would alarm out.

the answer has everything to do with what kind of CNC controller you have - we have updated CNC's to monitor spindle load and axis load and automatically adjust feedrate override to compensate or call for a tool change if forces go up (or down) excessively.

This was all done on the Sinumerik 840D platform on higher end large form factor 5-Axis mills.

Starting with poor quality raw material is going to make your life tough.
I know it's not helping much with your question but I wonder how much more you would have to pay for consistently good quality castings?
Even if you get the tool load monitor figured out someone will need to be waiting to swap out tips every time you hit a hard spot.

If they break away in big enough pieces you could just probe the tool after each cut. Wouldn't work so well for just wear though.

Back