Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Don't buy a robot.
    Now they don't need guards and have smiling faces when happy.
    I'm not falling for this trick.
    Soon we reach the "digital convergence".
    Then it's only a matter of time until the machines can out think us. They will know everything to be known at light speed.
    They are faster than us, work without pay, don't take breaks, don't argue with the boss.............
    You are contributing to and funding the downfall of mankind as we know it.
    Bob
    Amen CB!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

robot has shitty taste in music

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ready Robotics makes a pretty cool system that is mobile and flexible. Also they rent monthly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rent a robot by the month?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RobotGuy22 View Post
    Ready Robotics makes a pretty cool system that is mobile and flexible. Also they rent monthly.
    And would you happen to be affiliated with Ready Robotics?

Edit (I googled them): The whole point of Universal Robots UR line is that you don't have to pay an integrator like you would with industrial robots. It doesn't matter how big the sticker they put on the UR is, they're not hiding what it is very well.

And based on the other stuff I saw, they're doing a pretty crappy job of integrating.
    Last edited by Johnny SolidWorks; 06-07-2018 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Googled Ready Robots

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny SolidWorks View Post
    And would you happen to be affiliated with Ready Robotics?

Edit (I googled them): The whole point of Universal Robots UR line is that you don't have to pay an integrator like you would with industrial robots. It doesn't matter how big the sticker they put on the UR is, they're not hiding what it is very well.

And based on the other stuff I saw, they're doing a pretty crappy job of integrating.
    "They" = UR or Ready Robotics?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They are a small startup. Don't appear to be affiliated with UR other than they use UR equipment. Spun out of Johns Hopkins.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    "They" = UR or Ready Robotics?
    Ready Robotics - Not impressed at all with what I saw. Seems like a regurgitated mess of other people's ideas but with a twist: they offer leasing options!

12. Likes [email protected] liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Probably just another bunch of geeks chasing the robot dollars. I will bet not a single one of them has any manufacturing experience.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's an option for a low cost robot arm Robotic Arms

It includes process control I/O, 8 relay out, 8 program wait inputs,and 4 program interrupt(limit)inputs so the small shop doesn't need a PLC for integration. The price is under $6k.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks a bit wobbly and slow, but if you are not driven by cycle time, it could probably work. What is max weight at end-of-arm? Your name suggests that you are affiliated with the maker. You should make that known.
    Last edited by Gobo; 08-16-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
    Looks a bit wobbly and slow, but if you are not driven by cycle time, it could probably work. What is max weight at end-of-arm? Your name suggests that you are affiliated with the maker. You should make that known.
    I'm sorry. Yes, I'm the guy who developed it and I own the company that makes them with pride in the USA. It might look (is) wobbly because the 80/20 that it's mounted to is on top of a folding table with wheels so the table wobbles a bit during acceleration and deceleration. Speed was sacrificed to keep the price down so it's really not a solution for fast cycle production. It was developed for loading our machines, doing some assembly work and to offer small shops like ours a cost effective and relatively easy way to integrate a robotic arm. We have picked up and moved 11 pound press anvil plates. Thanks for looking.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do wish you luck. Are you at I.M.T.S. this year? Just being a smart-ass. Maybe next time.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by atopper View Post
    we are using one of these robotic arms on a small machine we just got done building. they work great for there intended applications. just dont try to make them do more than they are designed to. we have ours pushed to its torque limits. i didnt like the fact that you have to run an external air and or electrical loom up to the working end of the arm. it seems very half azzed. but it is meant to be an economical arm. lil tip for the universal robot arm. if it seems jerky, it maybe be the processor being sloooow. add some dwell time at a couple different movements ....that will give the processor time to catch up.
    my boss seems to like them and we hope to use them in future machine builds.

After several collaborations with research centers using some famous collaborative robots, various interactions at Trades and Fairs, we came to the same conclusions. Don't try to except more than they can do. By nature they are somewhate 3 times slower and 5 times less accurate than industrial robots... it all depends what you need to do and about what...

If your time cycle is relatively fast, you may want to avoid waiting more on each part while opening the jaws/vices more to compensate for a less accurate robot arms. We also agree that the UR is known to be a little bit jerky and may encounter some fiability issues of some servo-controls... Maybe because the enveloppe has been pushed a little too much on them also... what you need to do and about what

Dont forget also that some more advanced cobot arms are not necessarily less expensive than some industrial 6-axis arms... Even if they are more and more easy to use, dont under-estimate the add-on (time, cost, inside HR) to integrate them for less trivial, less simple operations.

We have been using robots for more than 22 years in our shop in Canada and Europe, for tending, second operations, quality control... We have tested various medicines through the years, and have started helping other shops for some years now reaching their productivity goals with custom projects as well as standard tending cells...

Regards

Marc

19. Likes Gobo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just to share some of my experiences:

At my new job, we acquired 2 Universal Robot UR5's and it was my first experience with them (we bought one, liked it, and bought a second). I picked them out because they claimed ease-of-use, safety, and ease of moving around the facility. The intended goal was to have engineering interns learn to program them and automate some of our assembly processes.

It's been 8 months since our UR journey began. What I have found is that for our applications (typically low quantities but high mix) the most difficult part of automating is part presentation and part holding. This has very little to do with the actual robot arm that you use. However, I will continue to buy these arms for the following reasons:

1. These arms are super easy to program. Based on my conversations with other people at IMTS and our distributor (who sells other more established brands of robots as well), UR has by a huge margin the easiest programming interface. Easily 80% of the time automating things for our applications has been worrying about part presentation and part holding. An additional 15% is setting up things like pneumatics, sensors and PLCs. The last 5% is programming the robot. This might not be the case with other brands, but from what I've heard other brands are still hard to program (seems they are pushing hard to make them easier every year though). Has anyone programmed both a Universal Robot and another brand to compare ease of programming?
    2. Our production runs are so small that we don't need speed. The robots justify themselves by reducing repetitive stress injuries and consistency of operation. According to our reseller, the benefit of going with another robot from a different brand with the same payload capacity and work envelope is faster operation. The cost will be comparable. The tradeoff is that the programming takes longer to learn (he said 1 week on a Denso to learn what you can do in a single day with a UR) and the safety features aren't there, so you need shielding.
    3. Safety. This is a two sided coin. I feel very comfortable sitting interns down with these robots, pointing them to the online tutorial, and letting them have at it. The protective stop due to too much force sensed makes it easier to stay safe and easier to prevent damage to the robot. HOWEVER, no collaborative robot used for machine tending a machine that is normally a 2-button push can make that machine a collaborative machine. For those operations, you need to have machine guarding or laser safety screens, proximity sensors, etc. It's actually not that hard to do. I think this is an oversold benefit.

At my current job, some have criticized me for not purchasing a Denso, Fanuc, Nachi, Kuka, etc. robot but no one can back up their criticism. I love evidence based arguments against my decisions and I like to make the best decisions for the company possible, so if there's something anyone can think of, I'd love to contemplate it.