What's new
What's new

Linear Slide Actuator Specification

newtonsapple

Hot Rolled
I am hoping someone can give me jump start as to what to look into for an actuator assembly that will meet the following specifications. I am looking for a slide type actuator. It will be used for essentially stretching a part with a pneumatic clamp mounted on the slide to hold one end. I do a lot of basic automation involving pneumatics and inspection sensors, but not a lot of electrical motion.

Travel: 1000mm
Peak Pull force: 60lbf/267N
Pull force position: 2.5" vertical from slide, 2.5" offset to one side
Speed: Max 100mm/s under load (pull), 300mm/s unloaded (return)
Acceleration: Doesn't seem critical to this application. How about reach required speed in 1-2 seconds.
Positioning accuracy: +/-.100"
Linear accuracy: Sort of straight, how about +/-.030
Life time: 200K+ cycles

Motor control would ideally allow cycle operation from push buttons without need for an additional PLC. Cycle start/end may be by limit switch or some sort of teach mode.

Any lubricated surfaces if present should be enclosed or guarded from touch. A compact footprint would also be a big plus.

Bonus points for low cost solution or readily available surplus.

We do this kind of work all the time . . . all we need is a PO for a few hours at $165/hour.

Bonus points if you pay promptly / NET30 terms.

If a few hours is all it would take to spec something out and explain the decision making process (ie willing to provide some education) then I think I could make this work. The rate is very reasonable for small project work. It would certainly be better than spending a week or two reading through spec sheets.

I already shared your wave pool project with a few people in my office who surf.

You can always go the chinesium route with a 1 axis g-code controller (has various inputs and outputs. They're pretty neat, actually) and a premade stepper motor/ballscrew/profile rail mounted on an extrusion with a driver for around $300.

It would of course need to be guarded, as the rails and screw are exposed.

I wouldn't expect this to be supplied to a customer, but for one person rigging up something for their own production it's fine. I mention this more for other people reading this thread that there are options.

You can always go the chinesium route with a 1 axis g-code controller (has various inputs and outputs. They're pretty neat, actually) and a premade stepper motor/ballscrew/profile rail mounted on an extrusion with a driver for around $300.

It would of course need to be guarded, as the rails and screw are exposed.

I wouldn't expect this to be supplied to a customer, but for one person rigging up something for their own production it's fine. I mention this more for other people reading this thread that there are options.

Do you have links to any parts that of the style you are thinking.

I have been looking at packaged assemblies like this (although a couple inches short): EZSM6E085AZAC, Electric Linear Slide with AZ Series Absolute Encoder Motor

Thomson has a sizing tool for the linear slide components I have been playing with. SizingRequirement -Linear Motioneering Application

I would like something that is packaged up our can easily be packaged up. I am hoping to have all the components in the $2500-$3000 or under range. Maybe there are approaches that get his done much cheaper than that?

I need to take some time and figure out a little more of what exactly I need in terms of travel, force, and speed as my initial numbers were just ballpark.

Do you have links to any parts that of the style you are thinking.

I have been looking at packaged assemblies like this (although a couple inches short): EZSM6E085AZAC, Electric Linear Slide with AZ Series Absolute Encoder Motor

Thomson has a sizing tool for the linear slide components I have been playing with. SizingRequirement -Linear Motioneering Application

I would like something that is packaged up our can easily be packaged up. I am hoping to have all the components in the $2500-$3000 or under range. Maybe there are approaches that get his done much cheaper than that?

I need to take some time and figure out a little more of what exactly I need in terms of travel, force, and speed as my initial numbers were just ballpark.

I've used parts similar to this: CNC Linear Guide Rail Slide Stage Actuator Ball Screw Motion Table Stepper Motor | eBay

They are not enclosed but are okay quality. I've never bought this exact one, just an example. Shop around.

Seems like for an industrial application something of higher quality may be preferred, but these do work.

Back