What's new
What's new

Making a carbon fiber robot "hand"

Rewt

Hot Rolled
I need some help with a supplier, and any tips if someone has done this before.

We're trying to install a collaborative robot into our metal finishing process. The robot will take a part (think flat/sheet profile) and place it on a fixture inside a laser etcher. The robot has a payload of 10kg and the heaviest part it will lift is 4kg. On test runs the robotic engineer we have designed a hand out of aluminum which basically looks like this:

hand.jpg

However, there's a lot of "quiver" at the very ends of the prongs, which is unwanted. So, since they gave it to me, I'm going to use carbon fiber tubing and plate. Much much stiffer, and lighter. Has anyone created a fork/hand/fixture for a robot out of carbon fiber that has some tips? Most importantly I'm looking for a good vendor for the tubing.

If the part is shaped like a sheet, wouldn't it be more reliable to use a vacuum lifter or something similar on it? Something like this:

universal-robots-pneumatic-vacuum-pads-1.jpg

The page I pulled that image from has more info regarding the PLC and components used for that end effector: Pick and place using pneumatic vacuum pads |

I need some help with a supplier, and any tips if someone has done this before.

However, there's a lot of "quiver" at the very ends of the prongs, which is unwanted. So, since they gave it to me, I'm going to use carbon fiber tubing and plate. Much much stiffer, and lighter. Has anyone created a fork/hand/fixture for a robot out of carbon fiber that has some tips? Most importantly I'm looking for a good vendor for the tubing.

We drill the sheet with brad point carbide drills, and glue the tubes into aluminum bases with loctite 9340 adhesive.
We have bought CF from McMaster-Carr, but have found cheaper with a google search.

If the part is shaped like a sheet, wouldn't it be more reliable to use a vacuum lifter or something similar on it? Something like this:

universal-robots-pneumatic-vacuum-pads-1.jpg

The page I pulled that image from has more info regarding the PLC and components used for that end effector: Pick and place using pneumatic vacuum pads |

The part has been formed in a press so doesn't have enough flat spots, also we cannot touch the top surface.

Back