What's new
What's new

Maxon Motor Alternative

BugRobotics

Stainless
I've been using Maxon Motors in Switzerland for all of my custom drive needs for over 10 years. I haven't found anything close to the quality or lead time (about three weeks for their custom DCX line). Been having some difficulty with a recent order and lack of communication that is troubling and need to find a vendor, preferably stateside, that I can try. Common needs include DC (brushed and brushless), positioning controllers, encoders, etc. Motor/gear sizes ranging from 6-50mm in diameter.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Bug, I was in the same boat as you last year!

We found:
Anaheim Automation - Your source for Stepper Motor, Brushless DC Motor,
DC Motor, and Planetary Gearbox Products

I used their geared motor and drive for a small mixer. It’s been running for a year and a half with no complaints.

Thanks! I've used Anaheim for some frameless motors and drives years ago for some thruster designs. They were good to work with though the lead times were pretty long. Drive and motors were top notch. Any insight on their stocked lead times?

Had to drag out a pic of that frameless motor. A thing of beauty!

Anaheim Frameless Motor.jpg

EDIT: I was mistaken, the frameless motor was from Applimotion and the drive was from Copley. I've only used Anaheim for stepper motors in 2015. Their sales never stopped bothering me for large sales. I'll give them another try as well.

Wanted to update the thread as Maxon is doing their best to make it right. Sending me a drive, free of charge, that meet my custom drive's specs except for the outer dimensions. I'm still going to follow up with the recommendations given. Thanks for the input.

Faulhaber(micromo) and Portescap/Escap seem to be the ones that come up besides Maxon.

I never had any luck with getting quotes from Faulhaber or Micromo in a timely fashion.

On the other hand the Maxon rep we used would never take more than an hour to get back to us, and if we were asking about a part no that wasn't immediately available, he would get back to us with alternate part numbers that were in stock in Switzerland. Typically within an hour. This was for small quantities, didn't matter still got great service.

Since we've been ordering DCX/ECX gearmotors thru the website we haven't had to talk to the rep. And if we do I'm sure we'll get excellent service.

I never had any luck with getting quotes from Faulhaber or Micromo in a timely fashion.

On the other hand the Maxon rep we used would never take more than an hour to get back to us, and if we were asking about a part no that wasn't immediately available, he would get back to us with alternate part numbers that were in stock in Switzerland. Typically within an hour. This was for small quantities, didn't matter still got great service.

Since we've been ordering DCX/ECX gearmotors thru the website we haven't had to talk to the rep. And if we do I'm sure we'll get excellent service.

Yea, I used to use a rep all the time until the DCX line started. Haven't spoken with a rep in about 5 years until very recently when an order went MIA. They came through and got me a drive that I could use to test out my prototype.

The manufacturing issue with the DCX line that is holding up my order is still up in the air. I'll update the thread when I hear more.

This question is for the guys that have a subaru motor in their sterling.

Are you using the motor mounts that are on the block or are you just bolting it up to the transaxle like the VW motor does??

Brett

I haven't the slightest idea regarding the last post by Jerome but I did finally receive the motors from Maxon yesterday. Apparently there was some issues with their laser welding setup that was causing the shipping delays.

Back