As doug said above, put it underneath.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Actually, to satisfy OSHA, you need :
    Two-Hand Anti-Tie Down

"Anti tie down 2 hand control"
    I could be wrong..probably am, but I don't believe a two-hand tie down safety is required by OSHA for any press other than one that mechanically cycles, one that cannot be stopped mid-cycle, unlike the press envisioned by the OP

If the OP's press was actuated via foot pedal or single pneumatic button, simply releasing said button or valve would stop the process...it would not continue on as a 'cycle'. I believe another factor is the speed at which the press closes. Anything other than very fast enables the operator to release the button or valve in adequate time to prevent an accident.

This is how I interpret the safety regs..and they're often pretty hard to accurately interpret, IMHO.

Stuart

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My understanding is that anti-tiedown is required whenever two-hand control is required. It falls under the "concurrent operation" language.

You just need to add a pilot operated 4/2 and a needle valve Modular Circuit Assembly Tips | Clippard Knowledgebase

4. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atomarc View Post
    I could be wrong..probably am, but I don't believe a two-hand tie down safety is required by OSHA for any press other than one that mechanically cycles, one that cannot be stopped mid-cycle, unlike the press envisioned by the OP

If the OP's press was actuated via foot pedal or single pneumatic button, simply releasing said button or valve would stop the process...it would not continue on as a 'cycle'. I believe another factor is the speed at which the press closes. Anything other than very fast enables the operator to release the button or valve in adequate time to prevent an accident.

This is how I interpret the safety regs..and they're often pretty hard to accurately interpret, IMHO.

Stuart
    I used to operate an air operated rivet press with the same anti tie down 2 handed circuit.

if you fully guard the opening per the OSHA guidelines, you can get by with just footpedal or single hand switch.

6. Likes DanielG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Before going too far down the OSHA path, is this for a hobby at home or will it go in a shop?

8. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Punkinhead View Post
    Before going too far down the OSHA path, is this for a hobby at home or will it go in a shop?
    Agreed, but the OP in post #16 inquired about why 2 buttons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Save yourself a lot of money and buy the cylinder, valve, air regulator, fittings, and all the electrical stuff from AutomationDirect. I really like McMaster for 45 years but for 25 years AD is the vendor for this project.

11. Likes Zach201 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by garyhlucas View Post
    Save yourself a lot of money and buy the cylinder, valve, air regulator, fittings, and all the electrical stuff from AutomationDirect. I really like McMaster for 45 years but for 25 years AD is the vendor for this project.
    Besides OSHA requirements, the other reason I asked whether this was for a hobby or a shop is that would drive my suggestion on where to buy stuff. Everything to build this press could be bought off Ebay for pennies on the dollar if it's just for hobby use.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's for my shop but I'm the owner /operator and don't care about osha standards at this point, although I do want it to be safe

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If it's not for a production environment requiring millions of cycles and 100% uptime then I'd probably go used. For example: Festo DNC-125-525-PPV-KP Pneumatic Air Cylinder / 125mm Bore / 400mm Stroke | eBay will generate about 1600 lbs of force. It may be more stroke than you need, but there are other cylinders available. I'd recommend picking the cylinder first then get the flow controls, fittings, and tubing to connect it. For the linked cylinder you'd need a couple G1/2 flow controls, also available on Ebay. I'm partial to Festo so I'd use something like a GRLA-1/2-QS-12 and run 12mm tubing from the hand switches to the flow controls. If you pick a cylinder from Festo I can give fitting recommendations. I rarely use SMC so I don't know the sizes and part numbers off the top of my head.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by razoredgeknives View Post
    It's for my shop but I'm the owner /operator and don't care about osha standards at this point, although I do want it to be safe
    That riveter I ran....you might want to follow OSHA anyways.

As I had many parts to do, I got into a rhythm, and got going so fast, that I could tag the 2 hand buttons, the press was a bit slow on descending, and I would reach in to remove the part....before the rivet set came down !

Almost punched my hand.

16. Likes DanielG, razoredgeknives liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you're going the Ebay route, why not just buy a used pneumatic press and call it a day? I would never in a million years resell a shop made press (liability) so if you build something the resale value is zero. If you buy a used off the shelf press, the resale value is probably right about what you paid for it, maybe minus the cost of a couple O rings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Comatose View Post
    If you're going the Ebay route, why not just buy a used pneumatic press and call it a day? I would never in a million years resell a shop made press (liability) so if you build something the resale value is zero. If you buy a used off the shelf press, the resale value is probably right about what you paid for it, maybe minus the cost of a couple O rings.
    You are right about the liability. I lost my job and it cost me $15K to clear my name when someone got hurt ON A COPY of the machine I built!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I could double like garyhlucas' post about Automation Direct, I would. Anything and everything you need for automation on there, great customer service.
    Side note: I was reading through this thread, post, post, post, then BOOM! It's the guy from the U-tube video that actually built the original press. What an awesome cameo.

20. Likes aarongough liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zach201 View Post
    Side note: I was reading through this thread, post, post, post, then BOOM! It's the guy from the U-tube video that actually built the original press. What an awesome cameo.

22. Likes Zach201, TeachMePlease liked this post