What's new
What's new

New to me 1996 Fanuc 420iF- What should I check, grease, adjust?

Garwood

Diamond
I took my kids (11, 7 and 1) to the new Robotics exhibit at OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) last weekend and they had a blast. Afterwards, In the midst of robot excitement I did what any good dad would do and hopped on craigslist. We made a lowball offer on a complete Fanuc 420 that may need some work and loaded all 3500 lbs of it in the bed of my F-350.

The kids are excited to clean up the old 420, hook it up, troubleshoot it and cook up end effectors for it so we can make it do stuff.

Are these things picky on the grease you put it them? I'm assuming all the zerks are for grease atleast.

This was a welding robot. Nooks and crannies are pretty crusty. Am I going to hurt anything if I get after it with simple green and an air hose?

This is the most excited my older kids have ever been about anything in my shop. I'd like to make it a great experience to keep their interest.

I don't like to be the negative nancy, but
That 420 is a heavy robot with a older controller probably RJ2.

I have a same vintage Arcmate 100i which is much smaller 6kg payload, it is definitely not something I would have around the kids.
I also have 2 new ABB robots and there is a huge difference in the operator safety, limited speeds in manual mode.

Be careful - very careful.

The maintenance should not be an issue, you will probably never use the arm anywhere near to what it is designed for.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The maintenance should not be an issue, you will probably never use the arm anywhere near to what it is designed for.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

How do you know that? I have several large CNC mills and lathes, a 300 ton stamping press, a couple CNC lasers and an HMC. Why couldn't I use this robot to it's potential?

You can keep your kids in a bubble. I will teach mine how things are made and how the world works.

Hey Garwood,
Cool Craigslist find! I'd contact Erik at Industrial Robotix. I purchased an arm from him about 5 years ago and he was knowledgeable and helpful. I have nothing but great things to say about the guy.

Back