Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Deal View Post
    And given the current trajectory these cultures will cease to exist in 50 years or so. How is significant negative population growth good?
    You gotta be kidding ? 100 years ago there were a billion people on the planet. Now there's more than seven. Civilization existed nicely for the six or seven thousand years prior to this increase.

Humans and society would probably survive a significant decrease. If not, we're too dumb to deserve to exist.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if some people had to figure out how to make drinking water out of rainwater Or had to walk a mile to get some food many would just die... RE: we're too dumb to deserve to exist? I think we are getting pretty darn close.

and we are not even smart enough to realize that wars are dangerous.

Most people won't even have a sexual orientation selection choice when they are dead.

3. Likes CalG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    if some people had to figure out how to make drinking water out of rainwater Or had to walk a mile to get some food many would just die... we're too dumb to deserve to exist? I think we are getting pretty darn close.

and we are not even smart enough to realize that wars are dangerous.

Well, we could prolly skin out a buck, or maybe even run a trout line?

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Well, we could prolly skin out a buck ...
    What happens when there's 4,000 deer per acre ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My car is down for a transmission replacement and Janie was busy doing other things so I rode my bike to the bus stop over a mile away, paid senior bus rate of >50 cents..Then walked 2.7 miles each way to my son's home, and did some repair work restoring two bad shape doors to look like new for a full day from 12:00 to 8:00. Then did the same trip back to my house. I know a lot of 30-year-olds who would not do the same. I know, I could have taken a uber for 30 bucks or so.

I could live in the bush, but it would be very tough at first. Even though I have a wood and propane heat bush cabin starting off in the winter would be hard..currently, I am making a survival water system for our Candian fish camp., For if we are ever allowed back into Canada..

After a big war, there would not be much safe bush left, and Michigan may be too radioactive to live in.

A lot of city garbage companies are sorting garbage and finding enough good stuff to pay the help and make some bucks. One outfit in Florida said they find near enough real money and metals to pay for the labor costs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't know about your location, but our recycling program makes enough money to continue and almost pay for itself. Most of the stuff gets sold to places that want it. They pay because they use the material.

People are always talking about the loads that are landfilled coming from recycling places. They want you to think nothing is really recycled, that it is all a lie and hoax.

They never tell you that they themselves are the idiots that cause that problem.

Loads get landfilled when some idiot who does not care tosses his garbage into the recycling bin, so that it contaminates the whole load. Or puts everything in plastic bags, or tosses in plastic bags, which cannot be sorted and recycled by the normal methods. And then there are the folks who "wish-cycle", throwing in a bunch of non-recycleable stuff that they think "ought to be fine".

THOSE are some of the reasons why loads have to be trashed. The rest is just a bunch of nonsense intended to make you stop bothering, because the folks spouting the BS hate recycling for some reason, usually political. Probably they are actually putting the trash in the recycling bin themselves.

8. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a good green plan..Knock down all the houses and then rebuild all to be facing, and just the right angle to the sun for solar.

I know by the time we make payback humans will be extinct.. but who cares it is the thought and good feelings that count.
    Or just put the panels on the ground and leave the house alone.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The actual experts say the green thing is a bunch of Sh..........enaganias (fake newa).

Cow farts, coal and oil are not to blame for more than a couple of percent, and 97% is from nature.
    The SCIENCE behind Green is sound.

Green as a POLICY is total BS because nobody ever figured out the ECONOMICS behind it.

No company ever has or ever will sacrifice their profits in any meaningful way to go green. Just little itty bitty baby steps that don't do much in the end.

Climate change happens naturally but it's currently happening at an accelerated rate and it's significantly outpacing technology. That part is not fake news. What IS fake news is the idea that anybody can really do anything about it. For every one company in America that goes green, 100 in the third world will pollute like there's no tomorrow.

Reality is that our kids our fucked and our grandkids are REALLY fucked.

All of us here really hit the jackpot. It really is the best time history to be alive. Don't take it for granted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For myself, I believe there would be both quality of life and efficiencies in having fewer items to select from.

Cars for instance. 10-20 different types of cars Utes, trucks and tractors would do for the common man. Make the products the best they can be, and make them repairable.

The disposable product ideology is not the future.

But, This plan would sure have a negative impact on capitalist economy and entrepreneurial efforts.

No free lunch. But I'm of the "Buy it once" school.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post

No free lunch. But I'm of the "Buy it once" school.
    Pffft... You're obviously not an industrialist - Gulag for you!
    Ref cars...I was reading under the "probable new changes" there will be a law stating OEM parts only.
    So the HUGE aftermarket of spare producing companies will become illegal... unless the OEMs purchase them.
    I guess.
    This was related to UK to be clear, and there is already in Europe STUPID STUPID STUPID (in best Clarkson voice) laws which do not allow any modification of vehicles. Basically the type approval/homologation has happened, so no you can't put a V8 in a mini... (or even fit a tow bar yourself, all = approved engineers + paperwork + money...)

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Radar987 View Post
    Green as a POLICY is total BS because nobody ever figured out the ECONOMICS behind it.
    And no one ever will because Goldman-Sachs owns Congress.

Therefore, we are fucked.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fake news can make people hate the stock market because that seems like rich people's stuff.

And then they may wake up someday and say Where did my 401K (retirement) go.

FN can make someone worry so much about a political person saying something controversial but ignoring what he or she has done.

FN can make people so uppity that they forget that in dire need they might take a bus, or walk.

Fn can convince people that Iodine is old-fashioned and tiger paw ointment is the new great thing.

Brainwashing takes the place of thinking, science, and logic.

Green, teenager thinking says in 6 or ten years the world will end, when the world is cleaner than 100, 50, 25, and 10 years ago. That the world has had numerous ice ages and will again. That forest fires, volcanos animal farts, and mother nature make 97% of pollution and man only 4%.

Being stupid sells products and makes some people a lot of money.. giving away money for stupid often is the case.

No, I'm not saying we should abolish toilets and throw our Shxx in the street, Dirty smoke is a hazard to food crops and people's health, and filling a lake with beer cans is bad for fishing so it is sensible to have sensible concerns.

but remember that breathing burns up valuable oxygen and produces C02 and food produces farts, so if we take only every other breath and stop eating the world will be a better place.

15. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The actual experts say the green thing is a bunch of Sh..........enaganias (fake newa).

Cow farts, coal and oil are not to blame for more than a couple of percent, and 97% is from nature.

You just proved it is real.

nature was in a balance for million of years. Your 3% upsets that balance and has been for a couple hundred years, possibly over a thousand.

Yep, in that time a small imbalance can build up to be a problem.... as it seems to be doing.

Get a teeter-totter balanced, then start tossing teaspoons of sand grains on one side, and not taking much back off. See what happens...........

Yep, it gets out of balance and tips over to one side.

17. Likes Radar987 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nature was in a balance for millions of years... when volcanoes ruled, and then Ice ages ruled, and people were held to low numbers by hardship and death.

I hate to think about it but likely with the building of nuclear weapons, we may clean up the world for a few thousand years with only small places able to sustain human life.

China Building Massive Nuclear Missile Base, Satellite Images Reveal - Washington Free Beacon

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One thing not mentioned enough.

Precycling is the key to recycling.

Even something as simple as separating caps from jars makes a difference and saves cost later. Single stream recycling is heavily dependent on presorting by the end user by dismantling items with different materials.

As mentioned, plastic bags are a big no-no because they jam the machinery and things like pizza boxes and dirty food wrappers are trash, not recycling. Around here we have a problem with idiots walking by who throw drink containers in the recycling bin instead of the trash. It sucks to have top pick out a partly full cup complete with lid and straw.

At our house we try to give everything a second life whenever possible. Plastic food containers are used for leftovers and things like the plastic bags newspapers come in get used for food waste and scraps. We also rinse and reuse lightly used ziplock bags, not out of cheapness but rather a desire to reduce the amount that end in the trash.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    One thing not mentioned enough.

Precycling is the key to recycling.

Even something as simple as separating caps from jars makes a difference and saves cost later. Single stream recycling is heavily dependent on presorting by the end user by dismantling items with different materials.

As mentioned, plastic bags are a big no-no because they jam the machinery and things like pizza boxes and dirty food wrappers are trash, not recycling. Around here we have a problem with idiots walking by who throw drink containers in the recycling bin instead of the trash. It sucks to have top pick out a partly full cup complete with lid and straw.

At our house we try to give everything a second life whenever possible. Plastic food containers are used for leftovers and things like the plastic bags newspapers come in get used for food waste and scraps. We also rinse and reuse lightly used ziplock bags, not out of cheapness but rather a desire to reduce the amount that end in the trash.
    Millions of "employees" paid to sit around and doo nothing all day (approx $50k
    each year paid for by the taxpayers).

Prisoners, should be sorting on a line. We are paying for them anyways, get them out
    of their cells, doing something satisfying, and filling a need.

Same with mowing long the interstates.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Canada is starting a ban on one-use plastic. It will be interesting. I was looking at a fast growth plastic container stock, but this new rule may put them in the dumpster.

likely the USA will soon follow. I agree it is shame we scrap so much plastic, and it will be tough changing back to less plastic.

Re:[Millions of "employees" paid to sit around and doo nothing all day (approx $50k
    each year paid for by the taxpayers).] I think if one can drive a car or answer a phone then there should be a job for them. It is dumb to think people would choose free money/ free everything.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Millions of "employees" paid to sit around and doo nothing all day (approx $50k
    each year paid for by the taxpayers).

Prisoners, should be sorting on a line. We are paying for them anyways, get them out
    of their cells, doing something satisfying, and filling a need.

Same with mowing long the interstates.
    Don't know if it's the same for every State but generally you can't order a guest in a correctional institution to work. Not even if they owe the State money.

Many work if no one on the outside is making deposits in their accounts or if now one will receive their phone calls.

So if your totally indigent without funds and you choose not to work then you rely on the basics the state is required to provide.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by standardparts View Post
    Don't know if it's the same for every State but generally you can't order a guest in a correctional institution to work. Not even if they owe the State money.

Many work if no one on the outside is making deposits in their accounts or if now one will receive their phone calls.

So if your totally indigent without funds and you choose not to work then you rely on the basics the state is required to provide.
    Change-The-Law.....simply....wait for it ..."Make them work"...they gave up their "rights" when they committed the crime that put them in prison.

The same "Law" is forcing us to pay taxes to keep them ....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Likely some states don't want prisoners to join the workforce because that competes with free enterprise.
    In Michigan, guys/gale can go out on work release and work for a time and go back to jail. I picked up a fellow worker from jail and took him to the shop for a few weeks while his wife spent time with her girlfriend. She, on purpose, got him caught coming home drunk so she could have that time with her friend.

25. Likes Trueturning liked this post