Replacing small DC motor with stepper or servo - where to start?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Replacing small DC motor with stepper or servo - where to start?

I operate a working tugboat with a 1950s era searchlight. Tilt and pan movement is via two 115VDC 1/20hp motors, controlled via a crude mechanical "joystick". The OEM motors are failing due to age (OEM replacements are Permanent Magnet) plus the ability to accurately spot the beam is difficult because of "full-on/full-off" nature of switch. Best I can tell, the joystick simply reverses the polarity of the 115VDC supplied to the motor armature.
    searchlight-motor-2.jpgsearchlight-motor-1.jpg

Replacement of existing DC motors with steppers or servos and a simple controller with joystick seems a logical approach but I know nothing about where to start looking for and matching best components. I DO NOT need position control but would like to have the ability to jog or control the speed of the motors in each direction, presumably by how far the joystick is moved. I would also consider using existing motors if I could control motor speed as well as direction thru joystick.

Any recommendations on best place to look for matching/purchasing components?

I have the ability to machine adapters or mounts from the existing foot mounted motors to face mounts typical of small steppers or servos. 12VDC and 120VAC is readily available for power.
    TIA,
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey there I tin the concept is sound and will work well. Forgive if sound condescending but I am not sure what your tech skills are like. You can purchase some pretty servos at a decent price from hobby places.
    Some times you can find a deal a receiver and cheapy radio. This way you would not have to run wires. I hope I helped cause the question was a bit ambiguous to me.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Conversion to steppers can be done, though it is not that simple as you need stepper drivers, power supply, pulse source and other stuff. And if you running the steppers just as motors without feedback or program, those do not differ much in operation from gear motors. 24V DC small gear motors are simple and inexpensive as are speed controllers for those.

Below are some random examples of the stuff you can get. Depending on the motor controller, you might need as well a 24V power supply. Those are inexpensive as well/

High Torque 24V DC DC Worm Geared Motor With Gear Reducer Turbo Motor 27RPM | eBay

https://www.amazon.com/uniquegoods-W...=fsclp_pl_dp_8

https://www.amazon.com/Baomain-Joyst...VQZRD1XK0GCYK4

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think you should stay with DC motors and simply use a modern 4 quadrant controller like a KBMG 212D along with a 2 axis analog pot joystick. I have used a number of them with a joystick and the performance is almost servo at a fraction of the price and complexity. I think you'd be very happy with the results. They would work with your existing motors so you could easily test it before replacing motors.

5. Likes CalG, rbent, motion guru, MattiJ, aarongough and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the replies.
    garylucas - Your advice makes total sense and I will pursue that approach.
    Thanks again.

7. Likes motion guru liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure if you are programming it or not, but I've always found NEMA stepper motors to be reliable and good value for money.
    0.3A-2.0A drivers are used for a NEMA 14 or a NEMA 17 stepper motors.
    1.5A-4.5A drivers are generally used with a NEMA 23 stepper motors.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with Gary, no need for steppers or servos in this application. DC motors with a proportional speed control joystick are what you want!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Checkout Gecko Drive, Stepper & Servo Motor Controls | Geckodrive. I converted a proprietary CNC that had DM motors with the Gecko Drivers. They are high end products and work great.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jpitz31 View Post
    Checkout Yucko Drive, Smelly Cowshit Motor Controls | Yuckodrive. I converted a proprietary CNC that had DM motors with the Yucko Drivers. They are overpriced products that work terrible.
    Can you program these to open cans of spam ? The tug guy fixed his problem months ago ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Can you program these to open cans of spam ? The tug guy fixed his problem months ago ...
    Don't think he's a spammer, just a neophyte. His other posts are about a mill he just bought...

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    Don't think he's a spammer, just a neophyte. His other posts are about a mill he just bought...
    If he's a neophyte, he's a dumb one. All the guy needs is 120v DC to make the motors on his searchlight turn.

Wish the op would post a few photos, btw. I've developed a liking for tugboats ... they are an absolute kick to drive.