What's new
What's new

Robot gripper contact points

vishwa10

Plastic
Hello,

We are using POM-Ercetal material for material handler gripper contact points. But I think the wear resistance for that material is low and also the weld spatter on the part which supposed to be picked up material handler, they are getting trapped into those contact points, leaving scratches on the painted part.

Can you guys provide recommendations here on which would be the most suitable material for contact points to deal with such kind of situation?

I am attaching the image of damaged contact point with this post. I would highly appreciate everybody's opinion. Thank you!

IMG-20200925-WA0003.jpg

Not sure I understand the process, but looks to me like you need to shield the weld spatter from the gripper. Nothing that soft (plastic) will withstand that heat. I would use ABS or delrin once the weld spatter was isolated.

Thanks! I was thinking about Delrin. Is there any difference between UHMW and Delrin?
Delrin/acetal is harder, easier to machine, slightly less slippery, less abrasion resistance, far better resistance to creep, and better stability at higher temps.

If the issue is material getting embedded, have you considered replacing the tips more frequently?

Best stuff I've used is urethane from die film. Tough enough to handle 70 tons against a fairly sharp edge when bending, but so soft you can't scratch powder coat with it. Not sure what durometer or if you can get it in machinable chunks though.

Back