What's new
What's new

Robotic Weld & Abrasive Cuts

birtch3

Plastic
Hello all!

First time poster, new to this community but I am a long time forum user. This forum in particular seems to have a plethora of knowledge and interesting threads.

To the point...I am looking for assistance or information regarding a project I am working on.

Background information: I am attempting to program a robotic weld path to do a horizontal turn weld around the circumference of a stationary 4" O.D. tube. I have successfully programmed and welded numerous sample pieces, the issue seems to be related to repeatability (or lack there of).

Throughout a batch (x100 pieces) there seems to be variation where the weld paths are programmed versus where the cuts actually land.

With all of that being said, what are peoples experiences with abrasive/chop saws?

What kind of real world tolerance variation should I expect out of a abrasive type "cut"?

How much blade deflection is to be expected?

In summary, I am attempting to root-cause my situation as I have no accurate/efficient way to measure an entire batch of parts. My gut is leaning towards variability off of the cut/deburring process.

Any assistance or information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

abrasives can be medical grade accurate to back of pick-up marked with a squished dried sharpie with 1/4 slop in bearing. A dewalt/skil will be as accurate as you set your vice and material in a fabrication setting. Robot needs independent ground from welder or it will jump from noise.

+1 for above post. Chop saw expectations with an abrasive wheel? How much variation are we talking about? Measure parts and post numbers. Even a 10% batch sample provides info if you can't check the entire batch. An abrasive wheel and the chop saw itself can have several issues that may be affecting this. How square is the vise? Does the wheel just load up and burn the material or is it actually "cutting"? Is there excess slop in the pivot of the chop saw itself? What type of chop saw is it? A cheap plastic pivot chop saw from a big box store can't be expected to produce precision cuts. Is the operator rushed to make rate and just burns through the material? 4" tube describes size but what type of material is it? Look at the abrasive wheel itself, is it glazed and loading up? Is the operator dressing the wheel now and then? Is any sort of wax being used to help the wheel? There's plenty of variables here that need to be defined before "root cause" can be employed. More info and photos will net better answers.

Back