What's new
What's new

Roller screw actuators

Punkinhead

Cast Iron
I'm designing a piece of equipment for an application that traditionally has used hydraulics but I'd like to use a planetary roller screw. I need to generate about 90 kN of force with about 450mm of stroke. I'd prefer to buy the screw already packaged in an actuator rather than buy the screw alone. I believe these are used a lot in the molding machine industry. Who is a good source for these? It looks like the Exlar FTP series might be a good fit. Any other sources?

Curtiss Wright | Actuator Group | Products | Curtiss-Wright Actuation Group

Exlar is probably the gold standard for roller screw actuators, but they aren't cheap. SKF also makes roller screws and packaged actuators.

90kN isn't that high of a force, so I would consider a ballscrew actuator as well. They are usually significantly cheaper. Bosch, Nook, and many others make them, although not all manufacturers will go to that high of a load rating.

CMC originally had a really cool recirculating roller design, but I don't think it worked out, so they switched to the more traditional planetary roller design. It's too bad, the recirculating design was very elegant.

One of my projects about 6 years ago used a pair of large CMC screws. There were some major issues, but it was long enough ago that I don't want to go into them on the forum; 6 years is a long time. I'm happy to discuss it by PM though.

I don't know if this is even close to what you want but I have two NEW linear actuators for sale. Here's the info:
Duff-Norton MPB6905-12 115 V. 500 lb. 12" Linear Actuator.
Priced to sell way below MSR. 275.00 Each + shipping.
spaeth

I don't know if this is even close to what you want but I have two NEW linear actuators for sale. Here's the info:
Duff-Norton MPB6905-12 115 V. 500 lb. 12" Linear Actuator.
Priced to sell way below MSR. 275.00 Each + shipping.
spaeth

Heres what the Duff Nortons look like.

Attachments

• duff 1.jpg
    duff 1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 131
Exlar is probably the gold standard for roller screw actuators, but they aren't cheap. SKF also makes roller screws and packaged actuators.

90kN isn't that high of a force, so I would consider a ballscrew actuator as well. They are usually significantly cheaper. Bosch, Nook, and many others make them, although not all manufacturers will go to that high of a load rating.

We are working on a job for customer that is new to electric actuators, as are we, and CMC is cost effective. I need 190kN, has anyone had good luck with CMC? Lifespan, oil leakage, no service issues, etc.

Back