What's new
What's new

Suggestions for a preferred automation bus please.

Miguels244

Diamond
Ok,
I have worked with ethercat, modbus, can open, sercos 2 and3 , device eat, Ethernet ip.
I am being asked to decide which is "better" for a new controls department.
For my part they all suck in different ways.
Except that ethercat seems to be a little less obtuse, and servos works for motion control like it was designed for it (Dunn)
Our application is...for the moment not a motion control so high synch speed is not a ball buster.
What says the peanut gallery.
My recent experience with modbus tcp was a real downer.
Seems that this should be easier, and I recal ethercat and beckhof being damn near transparent.
What have you hated, loved, with what hardware, why?

We use both Ethernet/IP and Profinet (Siemens)?. Ethernet/IP is by far the main bus. Seems you can get most anything in Ethernet/IP so device compatibility is a plus. We use A/B as our standard automation control plc and Siemens for most in-house built motion control. We do have several motion control systems using A/B drives with Ethernet/IP as the bus for those with no issues since 2010. I can't really say one is better than the other.

Is not my intention to derail or detract from Practical Machinist since I enjoy it a lot, but for this subject you may want to try posting it on Eng-Tips Engineering Forums in their Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) sub-forum. Those folks there always impress me with their depth & breadth of knowledge and helpfulness.

Back