What's new
What's new

Temperature of part feed back to fanuc control

imachine909

Cast Iron
I have no experience with anything like this. But want I am wanting some input on is how hard it would be to wire two thermocouples that are checking the part temperature at tool change and giving feed back to the machine. Then having the machine change the scale factor of the program before running next tool. This control is a fanuc 30i Model B on a vertical OKK mill.

Check with Omega Temperature. Thermocouples are durable and I have also used RTD's which need lots of physical protection. If the material you are machining can be viewed in infrared without too much reflection, then non contact temperature measurements would be possible. The instruments are best bought ready to use and most have capability for computer interface. I can't help with the software but 8th graders could help ya.

thick parts are slow to change from temperature. tooling usually effected first, then thinner sections of the part the coolant is touching. many times i have seen only one end of a big part go down from cooler coolant.
cnc machines often has heaters and or circulating oil and temperature sensors on slide sections, ball screw nuts, spindle temp. in my experience you never 100% compensate for temperature. many a time like daily i see spindle warmup effecting tool tip/end position if its running more than 3 minutes at a time. spindle heat works its way down the tool holder but obviously coolant splashing effects things too
for example on a electric motor usually one end of motor is hotter so it rises uneven and calculations of shaft height and leaning becomes complicated

Getting the data into the controller will require conversion.
If the controller has analog inputs you will need signal conditioning unless they are already set up for your measuring technology.
If the controller does not have analog you will need to develop a communications protocol. Figure out how to talk to the machine.
You will also need a signal conditioner to digitize the temperature.

Once you have managed to get the temperature data in you can then start hacking on the control code.

DMF_TomB I understand the machine does lots of comp already. These are thin part they start out at 1" x 1" x 165". The material has about .0004 per inch growth also we use MQL so coolant is not as big of a factor for us. We are ready have proven charts for 68 degrees +- 8 degrees telling us how much to comp. We input this factor at the start of each tool change. That was just to get us by to prove we could make the parts. Now we want to automate it a little more.

Miguels244 do you think fanuc could help me out with much of the things you are telling me I need?

DMF_TomB I understand the machine does lots of comp already. These are thin part they start out at 1" x 1" x 165". The material has about .0004 per inch growth also we use MQL so coolant is not as big of a factor for us. We are ready have proven charts for 68 degrees +- 8 degrees telling us how much to comp. We input this factor at the start of each tool change. That was just to get us by to prove we could make the parts. Now we want to automate it a little more.

Miguels244 do you think fanuc could help me out with much of the things you are telling me I need?

I would start there.
But really, you want an integrator if you don’t already have that skill set in house.
Fanuk will have a list of integrators they work with.
Give them a call.

Sure thing.
Check back and let us know how it’s going.

If the capability is available in the controller it should be a pretty “easy” job.

Golf clap. You can hack a Fanuc?

To the O.P. You'd be better off reposting the question in the CNC section. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cnc-machining/ You might get responses that know shit from clay.

Hack...
As in, to figure it out.
Unless you have done something specific before there’s always an element of hacking away at a problem.

If, as I suggested, he calls fanok and gets an integrator he won’t need to hack anything.
But unless the guy sitting at the keyboard has already solved that problem and has the code on a drive, he will be doing some hacking as well.

Back