Time to build a machine to automate a process, Anyone want to help my first journey? - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That was mentioned to me this afternoon. They are supposed to have someone give me a call to talk about using the system for inspection.

TDegenhart, whole point is to get the drilling cycle off the cnc machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    That was mentioned to me this afternoon. They are supposed to have someone give me a call to talk about using the system for inspection.

TDegenhart, whole point is to get the drilling cycle off the cnc machine.
    I was referring to the load station of the drilling machine.

Tom

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh! I thought about that but really the cassette idea is easy to make and implement.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

cassette-1.jpg

Rough idea anyways.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What you need is something like a twin spindle/turret lathe with live tooling. Put a blank in finished part comes out. You can make it so the machine stops after the transfer so a new blank can be put in, constant throughput...little bit more expensive than what your looking at. Would be cool though.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agree. That would be the way to go for sure. Even a Horizontal mill would be legit but alas...No more money. simple 2 axis lathe, hmc, and another used robodrill are both on the horizon to purchase 2nd quarter next year. I just dont see the funds being there to purchase a subspindle lathe with live tooling. Probably looking at $160,000 plus another 30k to tool that sucker up

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agree. That would be the way to go for sure. Even a Horizontal mill would be legit but alas...No more money. simple 2 axis lathe, hmc, and another used robodrill are both on the horizon to purchase 2nd quarter next year. I just dont see the funds being there to purchase a subspindle lathe with live tooling. Probably looking at $160,000 plus another 30k to tool that sucker up
    Probably even north of that, the Nakamura tome 300 I worked on wAs north of 300k new, even with messed up ways after a few chlorine exposures it was still worth 180k, 10 years old too. held tenths all day in ti6al4v and 17-4.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agree. Im pushing the company in the direction of higher paying work, just takes time to build those relationships no doubt.

One day we will get there. I don't think we are doing all that bad for such a small company. Goal is to get one of these $7,000,000+ dod/department of the navy contracts in 2020.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

cassette-1.jpg

Rough idea anyways.
    Have you given any thought of the overall machine layout?

Tom

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agree. Im pushing the company in the direction of higher paying work, just takes time to build those relationships no doubt.

One day we will get there. I don't think we are doing all that bad for such a small company. Goal is to get one of these $7,000,000+ dod/department of the navy contracts in 2020.
    A little muscle and a whole lotta hustle

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    Have you given any thought of the overall machine layout?

Tom
    I have. This will sit on a welded steel 2x2 frame with a motor/screw to move the cassette tower up and down. The open slots near the center of the open part is where the spindles will sit, ill bolt them to a plate and shim to the correct height. They will bolt from below. Those spindles will ride on 2 linear rails with a ballscrew controlled by a clearpath servo motor.

behind the cassette on the left, ill have an electric actuator thats servo driven. It will push the part between the cassette and rotary positioner to take a photo for part orientation via camera, if its good it will push it into another cassette that has a hole in the top for another piston to come down and hold it firm for drilling.

once its done, the rotary positioner will have rotated it 180 degrees so that the cassette opening is now facing right and the electric actuator on the left will push it the rest of the way out and down a tray into a bin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Holes have to be concentric within .001 and hole size is .196 through with a .206 to .800 deep on 3 sides.

With only two drills you will have all four holes at .196 and without the .206 to .800 cbores? How much more will the vision cost compared to non contact sensors and is there something gained that the sensors will not provide?

Overall I like your approach. I would guess that what you call the second cassette is what I would call a nest. The small mass of your second "cassette" will allow for rapid indexing.

Short, sweet and to the point.

Tom

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

4 sides get .196 thru, 3 sides get .206 to .800 deep. Ill accomplish this with the PLC and rotations on the festo rotary. Should be pretty easy to accomplish this.

I dont know of any non contact sensors that can detect that "dimple" which is just an 82 degree countersink thats .03 deep. I just contacted a vision company to see what they cost, I'll know more this week once they come out to visit.

That said, Ill look at ultrasonic and some other types of sensors. If I cant find anything and the vision is too expensive, It will get NOTHING. I MIGHT?! be able to rig up some kind of probe to detect the dimple, not sure how difficult that would be but its also an option.

Might can do a small blunt pin attached to a switch thats set to trigger if it doesnt go deep enough into that "dimple" and cause an alarm in the plc.

We can refer to the 2nd cassette as the "nest" from now on.

YouTube

This is what the "nest" will be attached to. I find them on ebay for under $1000.

I think ill buy one of these spindles and give it a try. Lots of good reviews, id use a festo air spindle but id rather not use a ton of air since its fairly expensive. And for those that will complain about it being from China...well you all most likely own or use haas machines and while they may be assembled in the USA.... half the garbage in them is made in china.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...RUGRFV4T&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...RHIIBHYY&psc=1

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a word of caution, the HUANYANG drive has rated so bad by the people here that discussion of it has been banned.

How do you control the rotation angle of the table?

Tom

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

get a good router table, which will run circles around a mill doing the profiling and dimples; have cobot unload parts- orientation is known already; then have cobot load parts into automated drill, kinda like a robot drill, or Robodrill as the cool kids say.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Noted. Have any suggestions for a vfd drive?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1) I'll never buy a cobot
    2) I'm not so sure that a router table will run circles around the dm2s or robodrills.

We have fanucmate's tending machines now and they smoke a cobot in speed and accuracy. Even still..they wouldnt be as fast as a human for this part. We took this part back from China and are getting paid as if we are Chinese.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Noted. Have any suggestions for a vfd drive?
    Not from me. Post a question in the transformers area. Also send a post to JST, he either builds them or certainly knows a lot about them.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The "$4000 in materials not taking into account the labor" seems on the light side.
    Would be nice to know what the outside vision comes in on it own on just orient. Kind of a near and dear subject to me.

Think throughput per shift, not op cycle time or machine cost.
    Yes the load, unload kills you in such fast holes. Robots are no better.
    Those low cost and not to be talked about drives...Not world class but can work and do very many cycles.
    I'm all in for the big stuff where there is money but this is only 60,000 parts a year, not like designing for a million cycle warranty.

Notably missing is that motion guy on this attempt.
    Bob

20. Likes as9100d, motion guru liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the vision will cost $1000+ and thats ok, over budget for sure but I can use that camera on other projects if this job goes away which i doubt it will.

Im going to just buy those not to be talked about drives and cross my fingers. If it blows up ill buy something higher quality.