Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default UR10 to older Haas Sl20 and VF1

We have a ~2001 Sl20 and VF1 Haas. Wondering if a UR10 will be compatible to this old of a machine? IF so who is running a setup like this and how do you hook it up? New to robotics.

SK

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not running that setup, but I've used several Fanuc robots as parts tenders for various CNC machines. I've never found the need to buy an interface from a dealer, mostly because they aren't cheap, especially from Mazak.

If you let the robot controller and I/O run the show, it's very simple to handshake the machines. You simply need to tie into the cycle complete signal from the machine to alerts the robot to run it's program. You'll need to hook up to cycle start, chuck clamp unclamp if it's a lathe, rig up a pneumatic cylinder to open and close the doors. It's a good idea to rig and open closed confirmation and an air pressure switch so the robot stops if you run out of air.

My only oopsie over many years was ripping off an air line to the door cylinder and relying only on timing to run the process. Somehow an airline got ripped loose and the door never opened. The robot tried to go through the closed door. Collision guard stopped it, but there was some paint missing, and the window still leaks....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Let the UR10 open the door, saves a bunch of work on the integration.

Look for a spare M-code that you can use to signal the robot that the machine has reached the end of program.

You can also let the UR10 physically press cycle start, saves work there as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by danrudolph View Post
    Let the UR10 open the door, saves a bunch of work on the integration.

Look for a spare M-code that you can use to signal the robot that the machine has reached the end of program.

You can also let the UR10 physically press cycle start, saves work there as well.

Do you have to have UR10 manually text on it's I-Phone...or is that a pre-programmed canned cycle?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Getting this robot soon. How do the spare M codes work, what do I hook up to it, and does anyone have a sample program of their robot/machine working together. I talk to Haas and they say ask UR, I talk to UR and they say talk to Haas.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sknies View Post
    Getting this robot soon. How do the spare M codes work, what do I hook up to it, and does anyone have a sample program of their robot/machine working together. I talk to Haas and they say ask UR, I talk to UR and they say talk to Haas.

We got our UR10 a few days ago. I will be watching this post in hope of learning. Have you completed the on line training? I found it greatly helpful.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey guys, got the robot and have been messing around with it. Have not got it hooked to machine yet. Believe we have that figured out after yours posts, thanks!

Now, I see your program for sending a signal to the robot, but how to do you program opening and closing the chuck on a lathe? Do you have to send a signal to the robot opening the door and then grabbing the part, but how do you tell the machine to open the chuck? Any help appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You need to either look into the machines schematic and find where the wires from the foot switch normally used to open/close the chuck are and add a relay contact in parallel with them, or follow the wires from the foot switch back to a terminal block and tie in there. have that relay closed/opened by an IO point you can address in your robot controller, and your off.

10. Likes Gobo liked this post