What's new
What's new

VFD Button Box Setup for Mill

jriddle512

Plastic
Ok. So I got a VFD and its working well off the keypad but I want to move from the keypad to a button set that will be mounted to an arm on the side of the mill itself. ***FAIR WARNING*** I am almost an infant when it comes to electrical setup. I can connect black to black and white to white but that is about as far as I go without having someone show me what Im supposed to do.

I believe that I have most of the wiring for the button box written down but was hoping someone here could look over what I have drawn out and let me know if its correct. I have a Teco N3-202-CS-U, the manual can be found here: https://dealerselectric.com/images/Products/teco/n3_operating_manual.pdf

IF I am understanding the manual correctly there are 6 programmable input pins (S1-S6) that can be utilized for this task. I have, what I think is correct, listed below. Please let me know if my thinking is flawed on this.

E-Stop Button (Normally Open):
Leg 1 -> S4 Pin
Leg 2 -> 24V common
S4 Pin programmed with variable 0007 which will decel to 0 spindle speed in x seconds (time to total decel set in variable A026).

Stop button (Normally Open):
Leg 1 -> S1 Pin
Lef 2 -> 24V common
S1 Pin programmed with variable 0008 which will energize the Base Block A and coast to stop when energized.

Forward/Reverse (2 position maintained selector):
Leg 1 -> S2 Pin
Leg 2 -> Start button Leg 1
Leg 3 -> S3 Pin
S2 Pin programmed with variable 0000 which will start the motor in the forward direction.
S3 Pin programmed with variable 0001 which will start the motor in the reverse direction.

Start button (Normally Open):
Leg 1 -> 24V common
Leg 2 -> Forward/Reverse Leg 2

I need to find a way to draw this out and upload a pic. Once I figure that out I'm sure this will be easier to understand.

Thanks

-Josh

EDIT:

Here is my hasty and crappy diagram.
Capture1.jpg

Last edited:
I didn’t have lots of time to look , but stop circuits normally open to stop(closed to run) that way a broken wire will stop the drive, vice preventing a stop. Look at figure 19.1 in your manual linked, this looks to be the case.
Verify the figure applies to your drive!!!
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I didn’t have lots of time to look , but stop circuits normally open to stop(closed to run) that way a broken wire will stop the drive, vice preventing a stop. Look at figure 19.1 in your manual linked, this looks to be the case.
Verify the figure applies to your drive!!!
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looking at the programmable pins the parameter for the base block as the following listed as options:

(Base Block Contact A or B) The inverter output voltage immediately goes to 0, and the motor
does a coast stop. Contact A is normally open and base block activates when energized. Contact B is
normally closed and base block activates when de- energized.

So depending on the model, Ill have to look into the revision that I have, it could work either way. I's building this up based off the assumption that I have revision 1. The block A is on both revisions. Revision 1.3 has B block but anything lower than 1.3 does not.

Again I could be going about this 100% wrong. I dont see any other variables, at least not that stand out to my inexperienced eyes, that would allow me to do what I am looking to do.

-Josh

Back