What's new
What's new

Wrist Camera

TristanR99

Plastic
Hi,

Just curious about Robotiq's wrist camera. Is it good? Easy to use?
What can it do? What are its limits? How does it compare to other cameras?
etc.

Anything else (good or bad) I should know?

Hi,

etc.

Hi,
No idea, but I just wanted to point out that you're based in Quebec, as it the company that makes the camera you speak of.

We're fine with companies that want to show off their (relevant) wares on an occasional basis, but take a dim view of those that think we're dim. Please don't do that again...

Hi,
No idea, but I just wanted to point out that you're based in Quebec, as it the company that makes the camera you speak of.

We're fine with companies that want to show off their (relevant) wares on an occasional basis, but take a dim view of those that think we're dim. Please don't do that again...

I mean, his other posts seem legit. Maybe just coinky-dink?

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would strap a camera to their wrist? Seems to me controlling where the camera is pointed using your wrist would be rather difficult, why not just strap it to your head so its always pointed in direction you are looking?

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would strap a camera to their wrist? Seems to me controlling where the camera is pointed using your wrist would be rather difficult, why not just strap it to your head so its always pointed in direction you are looking?

haven't you ever tried to get a tool on a fastener you can't see? :)

Seems sort of neat.
What is the cost?
How it fails in use I could not tell you since I don't have one.
Do you know if the base under it is opencv or inhouse?
Website shows nicely laid out standalone parts which is fairly easy and basic stuff, can it do bin picking?

Let's assume you have no connection and are a buyer. Are your parts laid out and not touching each other but in random orient?
No big Z difference or standing up on end?
What do you need to get done? Why do you need a camera?
Great tool but they all have limits.

This is a robot wrist camera not to be worn by humans. Different deal although it easy to make the jump in thinking.
All that touch and feel on hidden fasteners or just simple picking up a part out of a box....... robots can not.
If I work by hand on unseen or hidden I find it best to close my eyes while working and let the tactile feedback take over.
By shutting down one sense the other seems to get enhanced.

If you design robots or loaders you wonder how that all works, I can pick a part out out of a box and orient it without looking.
A young child can.....yet my robot can't do this oh-so simple task.
Bob

Working on Jags, MGs, and Fiats are why you have a couple grey hairs above your right temple, girl... ;-D

I have a wrist-monitor that I use for setting up surveillance cameras when I'm 26' up in the air on a scissor lift. It works okay, but it's so damned small that my aging eyes can't get enough clarity out of the picture to focus it well... it's kinda like skeet-shooting-by-braille...

Hi,

etc.

We're getting a UR16e with the Robotiq wrist camera.

What appeals to me about this unit is that it was specifically designed for UR, and Robotiq has put forth significant effort on the software side of things. For example, Skills - Robotiq

UR is an excellent hardware platform, but I think software is what's going to separate them as time goes on.

It would be interesting to see how this works out for you. I know that automation is very big in discussions this year. I just missed the SouthTech show but I was told by a friend that it was automation heavy. I would also wonder just how flexible the software is at detecting out of position parts. I suspect that like most things the amount of flexibility and ease of programming is determined by how much you spend.

A good friend and engineer is getting more and more requests for robots in industrial applications where they used to just custom build gantry type positioners and machines.

Charles

Back