What's new
What's new

14x40 Mazak Mate gap bed lathe

Milkhauler

Plastic
Hello guys, I hope I'm posting in the right place.
I've recently bought a 14x40 Mazak mate that the previous owner had disassembled "for painting" and never got around to finishing it. It looks to be in good shape and he said that all parts are there....
I've been trying to find information about it, like a manual, steady rest, taper attachment and so on... but no luck.
Does anyone know a source for a manual or anything about this model of mazak?
I've already contacted Mazak and they said they could not help me.
Any information would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

I've recently bought a 14x40 Mazak mate

I am assuming you are referring to the Mazak Mate/JFMT360. I have the same machine (in theory, however its labeled JMFT 360. All of my "replacement parts" have come from Terry at Eisen Machinery. He gets the parts direct from JFMT in China. The price is kinda reasonable, but on the expensive side. The manual can be had from Industrial Manuals, the other "accessory" type parts, you will probably have to find the hard way.

Post up picks of your machine and I will help as much as I can. I'll subscribe to this thread so I can see your replies.

The machine itself was made by Jinan First Machine Tool Works. I haven't figured out if Mazak did all the design work and then had JFMT build it or if they simply bought the machine from JFMT and put their name on it. Looking at the basic machine its a pretty solid piece. However the ones I have seen were abused and mine was treated like a cheap whore. Seems like the PO never did any maintenance. The gear box was full of rust and water, the bed and saddle are extremely worn because of the rust. I pulled the saddle apart on mine to clean out the rust, fix the broken parts, etc. I cleaned the oil system out, replaced all the fluids, cleaned as much rust as possible off and painted certain areas. I also rebuilt and modified the back splash to make it more useful.

_SCN5960.jpg_SCN5957.jpgf1205392.jpg_SCN5956.jpg_SCN5959.jpg

Attachments

• _SCN5959.jpg
    _SCN5959.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 521
That switch is a low voltage switch. It controls the basic on/off of the machine and the coolant pump system. Do you have the two micro switches that go inside that housing to control forward and reverse. I would send Terry a Message at Eisen and see if he can get you the proper switch. I can give you the part number.

I would go back and hunt through everything the PO has and find as many parts as you can. Its going to be expensive to replace a bunch of lost components.

BTW, I tossed that crappy drum switch, it caused me all kinds of headaches. My lathe functions properly through the factory installed controls.

How much did you give for this lathe? What does the pile of accompanying parts look like?

I gave $1500 for everything... the only things I'm missing is the forward and reverse switch, the cover for the end that has the TPI chart and feed chart, and the gear for the threading dial... the PO keeps saying he has them but is always busy. I'm supposed to go over to his place Wednesday and look some more.

In the process of trying to find information about this lathe, I came across a video on YouTube and it turned out to be the exact one I bought lol.... I contacted the auction company in Pennsylvania that post the video and they sent me the spec sheet on it.... found out it's a 1991

I am pretty sure mine is of similar vintage.

Not to sound like an ass, but you paid way too much for that machine, especially with it not running and being in pieces. I paid 1600 for mine and am pretty pissed I paid that much (after I dug into the machine). I figure my machine was worth about $500. Yours I would value at less because its already in pieces. Mine at least ran when I bought it, but it had all kinds of issues.

That main cover on the end also covers the belts and the motor clutch. I hope you can find that piece as I wouldn't want to work around the open belt. Count the teeth on the phenolic drive gears and see what ratio you have. I can give you the threading possibilities based on my chart.

Post a few pics of the underside of the saddle and cross slide. I hope your machine isn't as worn as mine. Someone used coolant in a past life and did a very poor job of cleaning the machine, thus the massive quantity of rust and corrosion damage. I would like to punch the previous owner of this machine. It was a very high quality machine at one time.

I might of left out the reason it was in pieces but the PO considered it to be a good candidate for a repaint so he disassembled it... then got busy building cnc machines for a customers.... so it sat in a warehouse for about a year and a half.... he needed the space and I needed a bigger lathe... I thought it was a good deal, at least around my area it is.
I have no reason to doubt the guy... I've seen his work... he builds some nice machine. The only bad thing is, he is always busy. Lol

I might of left out the reason it was in pieces but the PO considered it to be a good candidate for a repaint so he disassembled it... then got busy building cnc machines for a customers.... so it sat in a warehouse for about a year and a half.... he needed the space and I needed a bigger lathe... I thought it was a good deal, at least around my area it is.
I have no reason to doubt the guy... I've seen his work... he builds some nice machine. The only bad thing is, he is always busy. Lol

Keep the thread updated so we can see the progress of the machine. I was using mine this morning to turn some aluminum. Its not the best machine, but its mine and I can make parts, so I am happy enough.

I will and thinks for the comments.
I'm going back to the PO today to pick up the 2 chucks for it and hopefully find the switch, cover, and gear I still need.

A friend of mine died suddenly at an early age (61).
He left behind a lathe that his father had purchased many years previous.
I recall it being something like 11 x 30 in size, powered by a 120 volt single phase motor that engaged a v belt to power the headstock (you pulled a handle to tighten the belt when you wanted to start the spindle).

The executor or his estate called me to look at it and guess a reasonable value to sell it for.
I suggested $500-$1000, keeping in mind that one can buy a Busy Bee lathe for a few thousand depending on what you get.

He figured it should be worth more and later told me that the first guy that saw it offered him $2000 on the spot.

So, I guess he was right.....

I got the motor wired up. For now I'm going to wire a drum switch to it, until I can locate the right one.
Brett W.... Does your have this kind of wiring setup in the electrical box? if so, do you have a wiring diagram of it?uploadfromtaptalk1431835814034.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431835890765.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431835970789.jpg

That switch is a low voltage switch. It controls the basic on/off of the machine and the coolant pump system. Do you have the two micro switches that go inside that housing to control forward and reverse. I would send Terry a Message at Eisen and see if he can get you the proper switch. I can give you the part number.

I would go back and hunt through everything the PO has and find as many parts as you can. Its going to be expensive to replace a bunch of lost components.
Can I get the part # for that switch?
The PO can't find it😠🔫
Thanks

I got the motor wired up. For now I'm going to wire a drum switch to it, until I can locate the right one.
Brett W.... Does your have this kind of wiring setup in the electrical box? if so, do you have a wiring diagram of it?

The wiring is similar, I will take a couple of pictures. I have a Wiring diagram that is in the JFMT manual, but it is marked as a MAZAK wiring. I'll scan that in and post it.

I never liked the drum switch because it didn't have any of the safety components. It basically wired the motor directly to power. The machine wiring has on off switch on the apron, the foot brake kills the motor instantly (through a microswitch), opening the belt cover kills the motor with a microswitch, etc. That keeps me from killing myself.

It looks like you didn't put the brake back on the motor snout? Why not?
Let me find the part number on that switch.

In your last picture with the wiring hanging out, do you have the main casting that covers that corner where the switch is supposed to mount? The switch is a rotary type switch that controls the basic machine on function, the coolant pump, etc.

Let me take more pictures of my machine today so I can point to things and make sure you have everything to get the lathe up and running.

I'm not positive but I don't think it came with a foot brake. There is a casted hole on the tail stock end but not on the other end. The motor has a magnetic brake on it, that is controlled with a dial. See pics.
I agree, about the drum switch but it's just temporary... I got a couple good paying jobs lined up so it's a quick fix until Terry can set me up with the right switch.
uploadfromtaptalk1431888961482.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431888987899.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431889009832.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431889036662.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431889055397.jpg

Back