What's new
What's new

5000 off 2mm diameter stainless steel pins With M2 thread one end . Ideas please.

motoRichard

Plastic
Hi all I have a schaublin 102 lathe with a turret (capstan) head and a parting of Crosslide. Set up with what I call a hand pull bar feed . I have been asked to make 5000 off 2mm diameter stainless steel pins 32mm long with a M2 thread one end between 5mm to 6mm long. I have a very nice small tipped parting tool set up with a nice small chamfer tool set up upside down on the opposing side of the crosslide . I have a stop set up in the turret head in position 1. In position 2 I was going to set up a Coventry die box . Wow it must be 20 years since I’ve used a Coventry die box and it seems with modern CNC,s they are very much out of favour. Somebody has advised thread rolling. Though would that mean feeding the thread roller on and then reversing it of. Which would be difficult on a manual lathe. I’m hoping some of you can help with any suggestions Other than asking someone with a CNC to do it. (Or is that my only option) . Thank you with fingers crossed.

A rolled thread would be a larger diameter than the initial stock diameter, so an additional turning operation with a box tool would be required to reduce the diameter initially. A Coventry die head with stainless type chasers would do it in a single operation. What's the problem?

Hi Peter Thank you for your reply. I’m going to look into Fette Roller heads. �� dank je wel

Hi Mark Thank you for your reply. I didn’t know specific chasers for stainless steel were available. I will certainly look into this. Actually the last time I used a Coventry die box must have been well over 20 years ago. From my short inquiries made into chasers recently I am initially a bit disappointed. I thought with the advancements made with cutting tips chasers would have improved immensely. So far that isn’t what I have found. The chasers that so far I have found available have been HSS. Your confidence with a die box is far more encouraging than my expectations. I do hope you are correct with using a die box will be no problem . From memory M2 stainless steel large quantity not as easy as it appears. ��

Back