What's new
What's new

Amateur looking for some advice on my Mori MS850G

vespam5

Plastic
Howdy guys. I am an amateur machinist and mechanic. I have owned my Mori Seiki MS850G for a couple years now. I've made do with it for some years with my limited tooling selection and knowledge but I think this holiday season I am going to treat myself to some proper tooling so I can have more fun with this beautiful machine.

I treated myself to a gorgeous Yuasa 3 jaw chuck (A1-6 mount) which I got a good deal on locally. It was brand new in the box but was frozen from lack of use and dust. After a few hours and a lot of oil and patience I was able to free it up and it will be doing 90% of all my work holding.

My main question is to do with tool posts. My machine came with what I believe to be a factory Mori 4 way tool holder. (see pictures). This does ok but I find this setup to be rather bulky and not ideal for much of the smaller work I do. I could really use some advice and input on what you MS850 users out there have for tool holders!

I stumbled across an Aloris BXA toolset recently and purchased it with excitement but quickly realized it is a bit small for this machine since the compound often touches the work and the BXA does not put the tooling far out enough into the cutting area.

Any input appreciated!

The local whacheon dealer puts CXA sized holders on it. The CA looks good on there as well. I think the CXA looks a little small.
Here's a pic of a CA, CXA, and a multifix size B and a multifix B with a spacer.

Im down in long beach if you want to swing by sometime and see them in person.
Jeff
c4149d6e43ea33d91d6a397833245099.jpg
b8cf105a78f87882986eb1159d8f6007.jpg
f7686f9a9d136f1dc21bd81c0d18b4b0.jpg
edec6a2229c0ab21d7d5e97b5e7dd3e1.jpg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Hey that is very helpful and I appreciate the offer, can I take you up on that?

I had a feeling the CXA and CA was the size I needed to get the max out of my machine. I never realized how far out the compound hung out and ideally the tool post should be wide and big to be able to get the cutter a comfortable distance beyond the compound.

I'd love to see other Moris out there though.

Back