Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Another Graziano SAG 12S is Heard From

My name is Roger. This machine is new to me. I bought it a couple months ago from PM member rpsequin. Ralph was a great guy to deal with and he still has other lathes (a Webb Mori-Seiki type and an HLV-H), among a garage full of awesome machines to keep him company.

Here’s the Graziano in Ralph’s side yard awaiting pickup. I got so absorbed in the logistics that I failed to take any photos of the move, but it involved my son Sam and Ralph to help me get it loaded into a rented lift-bed trailer.

After an hour’s drive, Sam and I unloaded the machine into the storage shed where I am cleaning, servicing, and repairing it before moving it to my shop.

I am starting this new thread to have an accessible record of the project to restore this machine to service, and hopefully to add to the resources here for other owners of the SAG 12s. I have to say I would not have bought a Graziano without the existence of PM. I owe thanks to members Peter from Holland, Peter S, wesg, noamw, ACHiPo, and others for sharing information about these machines. I read a lot of posts from these guys before diving into this and it has helped greatly with the work I’ve done so far.

This lathe has been out of commission and stored outside for at least a couple years. I saw some photos of what it looked like when Ralph picked it up at Gary Aragon’s (machinery dealer here in the Bay Area) yard, and it was a lot less rusty when he let it go to me, but there were/are still areas needing attention.

First thing I did was disassemble and clean the 3 jaw chuck. It’s an SCA, made in Sweden. Here’s before…

and after.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Next I removed and cleaned up the change gears and drive pulleys under the side cover. While the pulleys were off I changed the oil in the headstock, feed box and gear box. I am lucky: this machine does not seem to have a lot of leak problems that others here have.

3. Likes Peter S, BillE liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

pictures!! if you need some pointers on posting, I think there is a sticky in the South Bend forum, welcome to PM, and welcome to the Graziano club!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The photos were showing up for me. I uploaded the images to an album here on the forum, then pasted the BBcode inline to my posts. Album was designated "private", I just changed to "public". Did that do it?

6. Likes cyanidekid liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yes, can see them now, looks like you got really lucky there with the surface rust. came off easily, and wasn't deep. looking good.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations and welcome to the 12S club. It's great to see your lathe clean up so well. From the early pictures I saw of Ralph's lathe it was hard to assess condition, but the 12S is a great machine.

I'll be watching your progress closely.

By the way, I'm in Pleasanton. If you're an hour from Ralph's we must be fairly close?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cyanidekid View Post
    yes, can see them now, looks like you got really lucky there with the surface rust. came off easily, and wasn't deep. looking good.
    Yes it has been cleaning up well. I looked at this thread from a different computer and the photos didn't show until I logged in to the forum.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
    Congratulations and welcome to the 12S club. It's great to see your lathe clean up so well. From the early pictures I saw of Ralph's lathe it was hard to assess condition, but the 12S is a great machine.

I'll be watching your progress closely.

By the way, I'm in Pleasanton. If you're an hour from Ralph's we must be fairly close?
    I'm in Mill Valley. Good to know you're nearby; I wouldn't be surprised if there's a reason to meet up at some point soon.

11. Likes ACHiPo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default It's Running

The machine would not start when when I first connected it to power. After poking around in the electrical cabinet I found that two fuses were open. They are Fu2 and Fu4, directly downstream of the transformer which makes low-voltage for the two control circuits. Good news was the transformer tested fine, the fuses did their job. I did find the 35 year old electrolytic capacitor on the 24 volt circuit board to be leaky and replaced it. Then when I put new fuses in and pushed the button, the main motor fired up!

13. Likes cyanidekid, Peter S, ACHiPo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

that sounds great! good bit of troubleshooting you did there, clearly this Italian has found a good home.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congrats on your new machine, and welcome to the Graziano club!

-shaggy

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are these original handles ??
    If so they changed them The older ones were rubbish

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

These are mine:

graz_lever.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They certainly appear to be original. They are powdercoated metal, probably aluminum, except for the feed speed selector which is plastic and broken.

I'm going to make a replacement for it out of aluminum. It doesn't want to come off easily though. I think I'll need to make a puller which clamps to the round hub behind the broken spoke.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

IIRC it has a conical wedge to hold it on the shaft So perhaps firtst try to push it in a bit
    What broke off on yours is a single spoke handwheel
    Peter

20. Likes cyanidekid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like a previous owner went to some trouble on the handles. Chances slim to none, the factory would have kept the wheel plastic, and redesigned the handles in metal though.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Looks like a previous owner went to some trouble on the handles. Chances slim to none, the factory would have kept the wheel plastic, and redesigned the handles in metal though.
    Don’t know, but whoever made ‘em I like ‘em; they’d be hard to break. I’ll make something sturdy to replace the broken handwheel once I get a tool post set up on this machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Broken handle = machine tipped over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 706jim View Post
    Broken handle = machine tipped over.
    Broken handleS Yes That might be a hint for beeing tipped over Not a single flimsy one spoke handwheel

Peter

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter from Holland View Post
    Broken handleS Yes That might be a hint for beeing tipped over Not a single flimsy one spoke handwheel

Peter
    Agreed. There would be other noticeable damage if a 1000 kg machine tipped over.
    Would not take much of a bump, however to fracture the aged, single plastic spoke that held the hand wheel.