What's new
What's new

Any of you guys good at adjusting Graziano clutches SAG 180?

ztugdriver

Plastic
Ive read the manual and tried to adjust the clutches but I think Im making it worse or missing something. I warm the machine up and loosen the screw on the adjustment nut and tighten it a small amount. Ive done this for both forward and rev. My problem is the control handle gets nice and centered up and feels good but the clutches drag and the chuck spins constantly. If I loosen it some the control handle gets sloppy and the chuck doesn't spin except in lower RPM gears but I have to wiggle the handle up and down to find the sweet spot and stop the chuck. Most of my issues are with forward or CCW looking at the chuck. I just got the lathe so Im not sure if someone messed with it before or if its just worn out. If someone could give me a run down and help start over with initial settings that would be great. Man what a mess trying to test and adjust with the cover off.

Also are they're replaceable clutch discs for these machines or are they pretty bullet proof? While Im asking does anyone have a threading dial for A Sag 180?

Thanks for the help!

Perhaps get the slop out of the linkage to the clutch
Also adjust so the moving part goes all the way to eighter left or right
Perhaps it is too tight and you cannot engage it completly

Peter

I have a similar problem in my 580. Since I am the only one using it I have ignored it. On other clutch machines I have run there has always been a clear detent on the canter position but not with this one. I am eagerly awaiting solutions. When I got the machine I tightened up the clutch one notch on the nut.... no change. It is less of a problem when the machine is warm but I really would enjoy a clear detent so that I could just slap the lever and have it center on its own.

I never thought about heat. Mine is in an unheated garage. It works ok when cold but there are times when it spins slowly in the neutral position. As this machine led a sheltered life in a warm school shop it's something I had never noticed before. And when heating the garage it takes a few hours to warm up all that metal.
Don't know what others here think, but I love having a clutch start machine.
And it sure simplified setting up my replacement motor.

I had to take out the slop in the selection linkages and then braze up the wear in the bronze selector fork before adjusting the clutches. It has the same issues with finding a true neutral position. You can observe the steel ring that engages forward and reverse clutch packs and see how well the ring (bottom right in photo) engages a given clutch versus the relative lever positions.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Graziano-July 005.jpg
    Graziano-July 005.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 167

Back