What's new
What's new

Back Plates for Schaublin 102 available?

TheOldCar

Stainless
Anyone making generic chuck back plates? On ebay there are some new ones made for a 70, and a couple of used ones for a 102 but I'm struggling to find anything else.
Niels Machines didn't have one when I last looked.

Last edited:
I am new to machining but I believe the EMCO MAXIMAT COMPACT use the same backplate as the Schaublin 102 and that is often referenced as W20. Am I wrong?
I am also looking for a new large extra backplate for my EMCO..

I just realized my 102 spindle is the uncommon (I think) bigger size. Not W20 or W25. It’s a 5c spindle with M57.6x3.00 threads. Looks like I’ll need to make my own backplate.

I just realized my 102 spindle is the uncommon (I think) bigger size. Not W20 or W25. It’s a 5c spindle with M57.6x3.00 threads. Looks like I’ll need to make my own backplate.

Hello!
I am surprised by your post; I did not know Schaublin spindles existed in that dimension.
My EMCO MAXIMAT COMPACT M3100 mark2 (from the Austria and 60s) uses W20 collets as most Schaublins 102.
My spindles dimensions are as follow:
* spindle width 40mm
* spindle length flat without thread, to tighten the backplate on : about 10mm
* spindle length with a thread, to bolt the chuck's backplate on : about 28mm
* spindle thread pitch : 4.1mm (one thread every 4.1 mm, it's a very big thread)
* spindle internal bore to pass a shaft/collet inside: 20mm

I am also running into difficulties to find an already bored backplate, as that thread pitch seems a bit uncommon as well.

Have you tried contacting a Schaublin service center?

I was assuming it was same dimensions as the F27 spindle? I found an obscure clue after lots of searching that implied it uses the 57.6x3.00 thread. I guess F27 is just a larger type of collet?
I decided to make a thread protector for it, and it turned out good, so I may just make my own backplate. It was mostly an experiment with my metric change gears for the 10EE (and since I almost never do internal threads). Turned out good, so I made 6 of them!

Last edited:
I was assuming it was same dimensions as the F27 spindle? I found an obscure clue after lots of searching that implied it uses the 57.6x3.00 thread. I guess F27 is just a larger type of collet?
I decided to make a thread protector for it, and it turned out good, so I may just make my own backplate. It was mostly an experiment with my metric change gears for the 10EE (and since I almost never do internal threads). Turned out good, so I made 6 of them!

An F27 collet has a major diameter of 27 mm and uses the nut on the front of the spindle to clamp up, it has no drawbar. "F" series collets were made up to F64 (2 33/64 body diameter)

I was still looking out for backplates and chucks that would fit my lathe.
I saw you referred to Niels Machines. I saw this one (sold) from them
Sold: Emco 3-Jaw o1mm chuck + Schaublin 12 W2 backplate - Niels Machines

It's for W20 collets, and I understood you need a bigger size, but for the 'classic' 102 in W20 collets, this would be one like this.
I have the same one but in 125mm instead of 100mm.

Glad you could turn your own inside thread. I'm missing the quadrant arm on my EMCO to be able to cut threads. My next project is to build one with a set of gears for it, so that I can then swap between them to change the drive ratio and therefore the pitch of my threads. My lathe from a plumber retiring was cheap, but now I realize I'm missing a few essential ancillaries :(

Cheers,
Laurent

Back