What's new
What's new

Best current source for multifix tool holders in Europe

Luke Rickert

Hot Rolled
Hi Everyone I need some more tool holders for my Aa size multifix. I am not interested in the Chinese ones but there are a couple of Europeans still left. I am in Norway so getting stuff from Germany etc isn't a huge deal.

Any thoughts on AXA Multifix vs Original Multi Suisse vs ...

who is the best supplier to buy them from?

I am not finding much on the used market.

thanks

Luke

Hi Luke,
generally the quality of Axa and SRW Multi Suise are very good.
I use a Original Multi Suise on my lathe. It was equiped with a worn out Ladner, which is a French brand.
When looking for Axa or Multi Suisse I would look for availability and price, because the quality of both brands is proven.
second the Aa size is nog widely available. you can try Ebay.de or Ebay Kleinanzeigen.de.
look here for a set in Holland http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/doe-het...123406d618e4dfc07bc3e0818a26e&previousPage=lr

best Regards,
Bertus

Last edited:
The AXA look to be less expensive, particularly the J and T holders, if the quality is similar than I will get those. I have a Tripan set as well which I could in theory make more holders for but that probably only makes sense for special purpose applications given that the AXA aren't so terriblely expensive. I love the quality and experience of working with the finest tools but the prices do take some effort to swallow on occasion :)
L

I use the Multi-fix qc tool holders on all my lathes. They are the best. I have a mix of several European made holders. They all interchange and have found no differences between them. As ducbertus stated eBay.de has been my source of choice. They are in common use here and readily available. The biggest issue is that many sellers only sell and ship to Germany. I would have no problem using Chinese made holders. I would gamble that they would work equally as well. I have heard of no instances of complaints. I have helped many on this forum buying and shipping these elsewhere, just ask.

Bob there is no need to be unpleasant, German made multifix costs about the same as Aloris in the size I am looking at and it is far more complicated to manufacture. The Chinese multifix clone is only 15% less than the European so not worth messing with for Aa size. The Chinese producers probably have to buy their grinding equipment from Europe anyway, accuracy costs money no matter where you do it.

Happy turning,
Luke

I have also been wondering if there is a source for reasonably priced (cheap) multi fix tool holders. When I bought my 18X40 lathe it came with a nice Dorian CA40 size qctp with about 6 or 8 holders and also a Swiss made multi fix post.

I have added another half dozen or so holders for the Dorian but can see the advantages of the multi fix. The holders sure aren't as available used as the Dorian ones are.

Big B, as referenced in the earlier posts people have good luck with the Chinese www.createtool.com. I think it makes sense for larger machines as the price for those is relatively much better than for the small Aa size. I dislike and distrust Chinese producers for complicated reasons but in this instance they appear to be fine.

Luke

Hi Luke,
if you find a set Aa in Germany, just contact the seller even if the add says no shipping outside Germany.
I'm from Holland and when I sent the seller a question about shipping outside Germany they never refused.
One hint to pull this off, is to use the German language to comfort the seller.

BR, Bertus

Just to wrap things up, I ended up ordering the AXA version from Top-Maschinen.de. They are nice but not quite as nice as my old swiss made holders. They fit a bit loose as the lever turns further before locking than with the others but they appear to work just fine. I think next time I will try the Amestra version.

Thanks

Luke

i got a "original multisuisse" and a "precipart" b32/140 holder from fwt. they seem identical, fit perfectly but the precipart is black. it also has a shorter screw, which doesnt matter. ill be getting more multisuisse from them, just because they are grey. precipart is $15 cheaper and the same price cteatetool advertises. multisuisse is by srw-amestra, a german company. i frankly reckon all this stuff is made in china now and they just brand it. amestra seems to have a chinese joint venture since 1999. good to know not to get the axa holders, i wanted to get one for comparison.

Just to wrap things up, I ended up ordering the AXA version from Top-Maschinen.de. They are nice but not quite as nice as my old swiss made holders. They fit a bit loose as the lever turns further before locking than with the others but they appear to work just fine. I think next time I will try the Amestra version.

Thanks

Luke

Reviving a two year old thread here. Luke, did you eventually then buy new from Amestra? If so, did you find them to be nicer fit and finish than the AXA MultiFix?

David

Afraid not, I haven't needed anymore Aa size holders.
Lately I am becoming more of a Tripan fan, I use it on my 135 and may go back to using it on the 102.

Really the axa holders I purchased are fine, if the others are not much more expensive I world suggest trying them but I think throwing money at these holders only gets you so much improvement.
L

Afraid not, I haven't needed anymore Aa size holders.
Lately I am becoming more of a Tripan fan, I use it on my 135 and may go back to using it on the 102.

Really the axa holders I purchased are fine, if the others are not much more expensive I world suggest trying them but I think throwing money at these holders only gets you so much improvement.
L

Thank you very much for your quick reply. This is the sort of information I wanted. I'm looking at the MultiFix system as I'm particularly interested in being able to use the retracting external (and maybe also the internal) threading tool. Of course among the choices one needs to make is which brand to buy, where to buy it, and as you say, how much is an incremental improvement in quality worth.
David

Thank you very much for your quick reply. This is the sort of information I wanted. I'm looking at the MultiFix system as I'm particularly interested in being able to use the retracting external (and maybe also the internal) threading tool. Of course among the choices one needs to make is which brand to buy, where to buy it, and as you say, how much is an incremental improvement in quality worth.
David

Those retracting holders are very expensive, be prepared. They work very well though. I have both in the "B" size. If time is not so much an issue, establish a search on eBay.de and wait. They come up used from time to time and the cost savings is well worth the wait.

Those retracting holders are very expensive, be prepared. They work very well though. I have both in the "B" size. If time is not so much an issue, establish a search on eBay.de and wait. They come up used from time to time and the cost savings is well worth the wait.

Thank you, yes I'm mentally prepared for the price on these; rather more than the tool post with which they are used! I'm now working on which system size to get. Both the "A" and the "E" will work. I understand the "A" is more common and so is more apt to have its components available used.
David

Thank you, yes I'm mentally prepared for the price on these; rather more than the tool post with which they are used! I'm now working on which system size to get. Both the "A" and the "E" will work. I understand the "A" is more common and so is more apt to have its components available used.
David

The most common appears to be size "B". Anything in size "E" used is very rare, it's an odd ball size. I have also never seen these holders in size "A". They may be available, but I've not seen them new or used. However, now that the Chinese are into the Multi-fix market, I would expect to see these holders in the near future. In case you are a Multi-fix user, be aware that there is a new style cut-off tool holder from China that is greatly superior to the original Swiss style. This new style is sold by Pee Wee Tools.

The most common appears to be size "B". Anything in size "E" used is very rare, it's an odd ball size. I have also never seen these holders in size "A". They may be available, but I've not seen them new or used. However, now that the Chinese are into the Multi-fix market, I would expect to see these holders in the near future. In case you are a Multi-fix user, be aware that there is a new style cut-off tool holder from China that is greatly superior to the original Swiss style. This new style is sold by Pee Wee Tools.

The distance from the top of the compound to the spindle center line on my lathe is just short of 32mm (1.25 inches)so either the "A" or the "E" would be appropriate. The "B" is probably too big. A couple of German websites show the AXA brand threading holder available for both the size "A" and "E" as does the current (2015) SRW-Amestra catalogue. An interesting thread here on the subject of threading holders: Multifix Threading tooling and options | Model Engineer If you read through you'll see that Create Tool, a supplier of Chinese made MultiFix systems can provide the threading holder. It's not shown at this time on their website but one only needs to ask.

Thank you very much for the information on the Pee Wee Tools cut-off holder. One more thing to add to my growing list of choices.

I just noticed on checking my link, are you the "SteveI" on this model engineer forum?
David

Last edited:

Back